Blog: Heineken has eye on the (soccer) ball in US
James Wilmore | 12 February 2015
Heineken believes there is a significant opportunity around soccer in the US
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US.
The subject of football, as we call it here in Europe, cropped up yesterday during a CNBC interview with the Dutch brewer's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, following the group's full-year results
CNBC presenter Geoff Cutmore asked Boxmeer if he thought Americans would ever take to soccer in the same way Europeans have.
“We bank on that on the long term, that's for sure ... I mean, everybody can go in American football or in baseball and with a brand like Heineken we are far away off that universe,” said Heineken's head. “So we're associated happily with soccer and I think it has good days ahead of it in the US and we invest in that, absolutely.”
Judging by the amount of English Premier League and Heineken-sponsored UEFA Champions League games being screened live on US cable networks the last time I visited, I'd say the brewer is backing a strong horse.
The full interview with van Boxmeer can be viewed here.
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research