Blog: Heineken has eye on the (soccer) ball in US
James Wilmore | 12 February 2015
Heineken believes there is a significant opportunity around soccer in the US
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US.
The subject of football, as we call it here in Europe, cropped up yesterday during a CNBC interview with the Dutch brewer's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, following the group's full-year results
CNBC presenter Geoff Cutmore asked Boxmeer if he thought Americans would ever take to soccer in the same way Europeans have.
“We bank on that on the long term, that's for sure ... I mean, everybody can go in American football or in baseball and with a brand like Heineken we are far away off that universe,” said Heineken's head. “So we're associated happily with soccer and I think it has good days ahead of it in the US and we invest in that, absolutely.”
Judging by the amount of English Premier League and Heineken-sponsored UEFA Champions League games being screened live on US cable networks the last time I visited, I'd say the brewer is backing a strong horse.
The full interview with van Boxmeer can be viewed here.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits