Blog: Heineken - blimey, that's cheap. Erm, no, it's not
Olly Wehring | 25 October 2007
The low price of alcohol, beer in particular, has been a major bone of contention between UK supermarkets and brewers for quite some time over here. With the retailers using beer as a loss-leader, driving footfall into stores especially in the run-up to Christmas, we can all look forward to some pretty good bargains in the coming months – whether the brewers like it or not.
However, word reaches just-drinks of a supermarket website which has been taking this cost-cutting to the extreme.
Earlier this week, Asda was selling 20-packs of Heineken bottled beer for GBP0.10 (US$0.21), rather than the GBP10 the cases usually go for.
“Its very rare for something like this to happen,” the supermarket said. "It appears to be human error which has occurred despite our regular checks and diligence."
And then, the killer blow to a good friend of mine, who is looking forward to 24 slabs of Heineken arriving at her house on Saturday morning.
“The disclaimer online makes it very clear that pricing errors like this will not be honoured, so anyone who has attempted to purchase this product at the incorrect price will not receive this product.”
That’s her weekend ruined already, then.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits