Blog: Have they started started something they can't Finnish?
Chris Brook-Carter | 14 June 2004
In light of last week’s television documentary in the UK warning of the dangers threatened by extending licensing hours in the country, it would seem that Finland is suffering from similar results following slightly different legislation changes.
Police in the Scandinavian country have reported a leap in alcohol-related violence and drink-driving since 1 May – the date that the neighbouring Baltic states, with their lower alcohol taxes, acceded to the European Union.
The Finnish government cut alcohol tax in the country by 33% to bring levels more in line with its neighbours. Finns are also heading to Estonia to buy their spirits for as little as £3 a bottle.
Are these merely teething problems that the UK can look forward to next year when the licensing hours are extended? Or is this a more longer-term shape of things to come?
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Global water targets risk hiding local concerns
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends