Blog: Have they started started something they can't Finnish?
Chris Brook-Carter | 14 June 2004
In light of last week’s television documentary in the UK warning of the dangers threatened by extending licensing hours in the country, it would seem that Finland is suffering from similar results following slightly different legislation changes.
Police in the Scandinavian country have reported a leap in alcohol-related violence and drink-driving since 1 May – the date that the neighbouring Baltic states, with their lower alcohol taxes, acceded to the European Union.
The Finnish government cut alcohol tax in the country by 33% to bring levels more in line with its neighbours. Finns are also heading to Estonia to buy their spirits for as little as £3 a bottle.
Are these merely teething problems that the UK can look forward to next year when the licensing hours are extended? Or is this a more longer-term shape of things to come?
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends