Blog: Have they started started something they can't Finnish?
Chris Brook-Carter | 14 June 2004
In light of last week’s television documentary in the UK warning of the dangers threatened by extending licensing hours in the country, it would seem that Finland is suffering from similar results following slightly different legislation changes.
Police in the Scandinavian country have reported a leap in alcohol-related violence and drink-driving since 1 May – the date that the neighbouring Baltic states, with their lower alcohol taxes, acceded to the European Union.
The Finnish government cut alcohol tax in the country by 33% to bring levels more in line with its neighbours. Finns are also heading to Estonia to buy their spirits for as little as £3 a bottle.
Are these merely teething problems that the UK can look forward to next year when the licensing hours are extended? Or is this a more longer-term shape of things to come?
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends