Blog: Havana Club - prepare to mix with Absolut?
Olly Wehring | 27 February 2008
The recent trip by our news editor Jessica Harvey to Cuba came at a very colourful time for the country. With Fidel Castro finally calling time on his tenure as leader, the future for the island will remain in the spotlight for some time to come.
At the same time, within the drinks industry, the battle between Pernod Ricard and Bacardi over the Havana Club trademark remains quite prominent. Although there aren't any immediate additions to the timeline we ran on the row in 2006, recent comments from Pernod's joint venture with the Cuban government highlight that feelings still run high between the two over the matter.
What will keep this matter front of mind, I feel, is something which at first glance appears wholly unrelated.
Both Pernod and Bacardi are in the front row of contenders for Vin & Sprit, the sale of which is expected to go through during the summer.
It's going to be a lively few months - what's not to say that the words 'Havana' and 'Club' get dragged into the bunfight?
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends