Blog: Havana Club - prepare to mix with Absolut?
Olly Wehring | 27 February 2008
The recent trip by our news editor Jessica Harvey to Cuba came at a very colourful time for the country. With Fidel Castro finally calling time on his tenure as leader, the future for the island will remain in the spotlight for some time to come.
At the same time, within the drinks industry, the battle between Pernod Ricard and Bacardi over the Havana Club trademark remains quite prominent. Although there aren't any immediate additions to the timeline we ran on the row in 2006, recent comments from Pernod's joint venture with the Cuban government highlight that feelings still run high between the two over the matter.
What will keep this matter front of mind, I feel, is something which at first glance appears wholly unrelated.
Both Pernod and Bacardi are in the front row of contenders for Vin & Sprit, the sale of which is expected to go through during the summer.
It's going to be a lively few months - what's not to say that the words 'Havana' and 'Club' get dragged into the bunfight?
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits