Blog: Havana Club - prepare to mix with Absolut?
Olly Wehring | 27 February 2008
The recent trip by our news editor Jessica Harvey to Cuba came at a very colourful time for the country. With Fidel Castro finally calling time on his tenure as leader, the future for the island will remain in the spotlight for some time to come.
At the same time, within the drinks industry, the battle between Pernod Ricard and Bacardi over the Havana Club trademark remains quite prominent. Although there aren't any immediate additions to the timeline we ran on the row in 2006, recent comments from Pernod's joint venture with the Cuban government highlight that feelings still run high between the two over the matter.
What will keep this matter front of mind, I feel, is something which at first glance appears wholly unrelated.
Both Pernod and Bacardi are in the front row of contenders for Vin & Sprit, the sale of which is expected to go through during the summer.
It's going to be a lively few months - what's not to say that the words 'Havana' and 'Club' get dragged into the bunfight?
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends