Blog: Havana Club - prepare to mix with Absolut?
Olly Wehring | 27 February 2008
The recent trip by our news editor Jessica Harvey to Cuba came at a very colourful time for the country. With Fidel Castro finally calling time on his tenure as leader, the future for the island will remain in the spotlight for some time to come.
At the same time, within the drinks industry, the battle between Pernod Ricard and Bacardi over the Havana Club trademark remains quite prominent. Although there aren't any immediate additions to the timeline we ran on the row in 2006, recent comments from Pernod's joint venture with the Cuban government highlight that feelings still run high between the two over the matter.
What will keep this matter front of mind, I feel, is something which at first glance appears wholly unrelated.
Both Pernod and Bacardi are in the front row of contenders for Vin & Sprit, the sale of which is expected to go through during the summer.
It's going to be a lively few months - what's not to say that the words 'Havana' and 'Club' get dragged into the bunfight?
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Corporate Relations Director to leave Diageo
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Diageo, Nolets unveil latest Ketel One campaign