Blog: Havana Club - It's a fair question... isn't it?
Olly Wehring | 17 August 2006
As you'll see when it goes live tomorrow, I've been researching the full story about Havana Club this week. I've spoken to both Bacardi and Pernod Ricard, and some of the language has been really quite colourful.
Pernod is, naturally, a tad peeved at Bacardi for launching its own Havana Club rum this month in the US, a market Pernod can't penetrate with the product right now due to a longstanding trade embargo. The French company has subsequently hit Bacardi with a lawsuit, accusing the US company of misleading consumers by offering a rum called Havana Club that is actually made in... Puerto Rico.
I stopped short of asking Pernod one question yesterday, just so I could publicly ask the company now.
Pernod, where is Malibu rum made?
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
PepsiCo created a stir last week with the news it is testing a product called Caleb's Kola, with some in the media claiming it was the beginning of a new “craft soda” category....
SABMiller's bid to widen the appeal of beer is very much in evidence at its latest 'House of Peroni' - with beer cocktails and a bigger bottle for the Italian lager brand on offer. ...
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo, SABMiller, the Scotch whisky category and the US wine market....
- Diageo's future brighter than present suggests
- Analysis - Remy's Cognac "dead-cat bounce"
- Diageo's Q1 Results by Region
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's H1 Performance by Brand
- Three Questions for the Drinks Industry
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Diageo puts Beckham centre stage in Haig Club ad
- United Spirits sees Q1 net loss
- Beam Suntory, Edrington part ways in Travel Retail
- TWE unveils Penfolds range after CEO's "bold move"