Blog: Has BrewDog's bark chased away sales chief?
Chris Mercer | 11 August 2010
Could the departure of BrewDog's Richard McLelland for a near-identical position at a rival Scottish brewer suggest tension over BrewDog's publicity-chasing antics?
McLelland is moving to head up sales at Glasgow-based West Brewery, where he knows the founder, Petra Wetzel.
Nothing too sinister about that, you might say. People move within the drinks industry regularly enough, after all.
Yet, there was something about McLelland's comments in today's announcement (11 August) that suggested all was not sweetness and light at BrewDog HQ.
"This was one of the easiest decisions I’ve ever made," said McLelland. Already, I'm thinking 'ouch'.
"Just look at the way it goes about its business and its reputation; a nimble outfit that’s not shy of sticking its neck out, but one that’s rooted in integrity, decent values and exacting standards," he added of West Brewery.
Now, I've seen plenty of press releases on appointments and that's a pretty frank way of talking, particularly considering that McLelland has come from a direct rival to West.
Could it be that stunts like this have caused a split at camp BrewDog?
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- Can fruit cider survive UK slowdown? - Focus
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part II
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends