Blog: Has BrewDog's bark chased away sales chief?
Chris Mercer | 11 August 2010
Could the departure of BrewDog's Richard McLelland for a near-identical position at a rival Scottish brewer suggest tension over BrewDog's publicity-chasing antics?
McLelland is moving to head up sales at Glasgow-based West Brewery, where he knows the founder, Petra Wetzel.
Nothing too sinister about that, you might say. People move within the drinks industry regularly enough, after all.
Yet, there was something about McLelland's comments in today's announcement (11 August) that suggested all was not sweetness and light at BrewDog HQ.
"This was one of the easiest decisions I’ve ever made," said McLelland. Already, I'm thinking 'ouch'.
"Just look at the way it goes about its business and its reputation; a nimble outfit that’s not shy of sticking its neck out, but one that’s rooted in integrity, decent values and exacting standards," he added of West Brewery.
Now, I've seen plenty of press releases on appointments and that's a pretty frank way of talking, particularly considering that McLelland has come from a direct rival to West.
Could it be that stunts like this have caused a split at camp BrewDog?
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Chilli targets beer with Rekorderlig Dry Apple
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014