Blog: Has BrewDog's bark chased away sales chief?
Chris Mercer | 11 August 2010
Could the departure of BrewDog's Richard McLelland for a near-identical position at a rival Scottish brewer suggest tension over BrewDog's publicity-chasing antics?
McLelland is moving to head up sales at Glasgow-based West Brewery, where he knows the founder, Petra Wetzel.
Nothing too sinister about that, you might say. People move within the drinks industry regularly enough, after all.
Yet, there was something about McLelland's comments in today's announcement (11 August) that suggested all was not sweetness and light at BrewDog HQ.
"This was one of the easiest decisions I’ve ever made," said McLelland. Already, I'm thinking 'ouch'.
"Just look at the way it goes about its business and its reputation; a nimble outfit that’s not shy of sticking its neck out, but one that’s rooted in integrity, decent values and exacting standards," he added of West Brewery.
Now, I've seen plenty of press releases on appointments and that's a pretty frank way of talking, particularly considering that McLelland has come from a direct rival to West.
Could it be that stunts like this have caused a split at camp BrewDog?
Heineken is gearing up for a product launch in Australia this month. But exactly what the product is, the brewer is not saying....
It's Summer in the northern hemisphere and the beer festivals are in full swing. Even the famously secluded North Korea is letting its regulation-cut hair down with the Taedonggang Beer Festival, name...
Drinks companies that use celebrities and influencers to endorse products via social media could be in line for some rule changes....
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages