Blog: Happy St Patrick's Day
Olly Wehring | 17 March 2010
A very Happy St Patrick's Day to you all. And how am I going to celebrate this evening? Why, I'm going to a tasting of The Balvenie... which is a Scotch...
Anyway, in honour of all things Irish, we're glad to shed some light on what, I'm sure, has been keeping many of you awake at night for years.
The Daily Express has reported today (17 March) that scientists have been able to pin down exactly why the bubbles in a pint of Guinness sink instead of rise.
By using a “super-fast” camera (very technical) that magnifies the bubbles ten times, members of the Royal Society of Chemistry noticed that bubbles in the centre of the glass rise rapidly, pulling the surrounding liquid with them and setting up a circulating current.
Flowing outwards from the head of a pint of Guinness, the current hit the glass edge and was pushed down.
Bubbles held back by dragging on the side of the glass were caught in the circulation and forced to go with the flow - the wrong way.
If you have any other national holiday-related conundrums you'd like us to look into, please, go away.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Diageo reaches deal in Stitzel legal row
- Sazerac poaches ex-Diageo government director