Blog: Happy St Patrick's Day
Olly Wehring | 17 March 2010
A very Happy St Patrick's Day to you all. And how am I going to celebrate this evening? Why, I'm going to a tasting of The Balvenie... which is a Scotch...
Anyway, in honour of all things Irish, we're glad to shed some light on what, I'm sure, has been keeping many of you awake at night for years.
The Daily Express has reported today (17 March) that scientists have been able to pin down exactly why the bubbles in a pint of Guinness sink instead of rise.
By using a “super-fast” camera (very technical) that magnifies the bubbles ten times, members of the Royal Society of Chemistry noticed that bubbles in the centre of the glass rise rapidly, pulling the surrounding liquid with them and setting up a circulating current.
Flowing outwards from the head of a pint of Guinness, the current hit the glass edge and was pushed down.
Bubbles held back by dragging on the side of the glass were caught in the circulation and forced to go with the flow - the wrong way.
If you have any other national holiday-related conundrums you'd like us to look into, please, go away.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research