Blog: Guinness fortunes slipping?
Olly Wehring | 15 February 2007
Could it be that the ‘luck o’ the Irish’ is showing signs of drying up for Guinness?
While the Dublin-based brewer faced up to a 7% slump in European volumes today (15 February), brand owner Diageo was busy drawing up expansion plans for its Scotch whisky stable, totalling GBP100m (US$195.34m).
Johnnie Walker played centre stage today, as the UK-based drinks group presented impressive interim figures, buoyed by an overall 8% net sales growth in spirits.
Diageo’s investment is great news for the Scottish economy and will create 200 jobs, suggesting that Diageo Scotland is set fair to enjoy the fruits of labours in markets such as Brazil, Russia, India, China and Mexico.
Guinness’ problems, meanwhile, were compounded in the UK and Ireland markets by “exceptionally warm weather”. But let’s not forget that Guinness volumes grew 2% in North America - although it too struggled in Europe, incidentally, Baileys’ volumes leaped 22% across the Atlantic.
Diageo is of such a size now that it has a host of different pots on the boil at the same time but, like a certain rugby tournament that is currently on the go, there is always national pride at stake.
As for the luck issue, it seems Guinness has the luxury of not always betting on black but having a red option out there too now.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- The global tailwinds behind Heineken - Analysis
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends