Blog: Guinness fortunes slipping?
Olly Wehring | 15 February 2007
Could it be that the ‘luck o’ the Irish’ is showing signs of drying up for Guinness?
While the Dublin-based brewer faced up to a 7% slump in European volumes today (15 February), brand owner Diageo was busy drawing up expansion plans for its Scotch whisky stable, totalling GBP100m (US$195.34m).
Johnnie Walker played centre stage today, as the UK-based drinks group presented impressive interim figures, buoyed by an overall 8% net sales growth in spirits.
Diageo’s investment is great news for the Scottish economy and will create 200 jobs, suggesting that Diageo Scotland is set fair to enjoy the fruits of labours in markets such as Brazil, Russia, India, China and Mexico.
Guinness’ problems, meanwhile, were compounded in the UK and Ireland markets by “exceptionally warm weather”. But let’s not forget that Guinness volumes grew 2% in North America - although it too struggled in Europe, incidentally, Baileys’ volumes leaped 22% across the Atlantic.
Diageo is of such a size now that it has a host of different pots on the boil at the same time but, like a certain rugby tournament that is currently on the go, there is always national pride at stake.
As for the luck issue, it seems Guinness has the luxury of not always betting on black but having a red option out there too now.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research