Blog: Guinness fortunes slipping?
Olly Wehring | 15 February 2007
Could it be that the ‘luck o’ the Irish’ is showing signs of drying up for Guinness?
While the Dublin-based brewer faced up to a 7% slump in European volumes today (15 February), brand owner Diageo was busy drawing up expansion plans for its Scotch whisky stable, totalling GBP100m (US$195.34m).
Johnnie Walker played centre stage today, as the UK-based drinks group presented impressive interim figures, buoyed by an overall 8% net sales growth in spirits.
Diageo’s investment is great news for the Scottish economy and will create 200 jobs, suggesting that Diageo Scotland is set fair to enjoy the fruits of labours in markets such as Brazil, Russia, India, China and Mexico.
Guinness’ problems, meanwhile, were compounded in the UK and Ireland markets by “exceptionally warm weather”. But let’s not forget that Guinness volumes grew 2% in North America - although it too struggled in Europe, incidentally, Baileys’ volumes leaped 22% across the Atlantic.
Diageo is of such a size now that it has a host of different pots on the boil at the same time but, like a certain rugby tournament that is currently on the go, there is always national pride at stake.
As for the luck issue, it seems Guinness has the luxury of not always betting on black but having a red option out there too now.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research