Blog: Guinness classic ads are pure genius
Olly Wehring | 4 March 2009
We don't know how long Diageo has been cooking up its plan to release 'classic' (ie, used) Guinness adverts to mark the Irish beer's 250th anniversary in 2009.
But, it seems to us that the timing could hardly be better for the drinks giant.
As recession laps at the shores of some of Diageo's biggest markets, the group does not have to bother about the cost of producing a new Guinness ad campaign.
Instead, it has only to reach into an archive of Guinness promos.
Meanwhile, the punters are happy to take a trip down memory lane, such is the near-iconic status of Guinness adverts. Seriously, someone somewhere knows more than is healthy about Guinness ads.
At the same time, Diageo is getting "more bang for its buck" because media rates have fallen in the economic downturn, by up to 20% in some cases in the UK and US.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends