Blog: Guinness classic ads are pure genius
Olly Wehring | 4 March 2009
We don't know how long Diageo has been cooking up its plan to release 'classic' (ie, used) Guinness adverts to mark the Irish beer's 250th anniversary in 2009.
But, it seems to us that the timing could hardly be better for the drinks giant.
As recession laps at the shores of some of Diageo's biggest markets, the group does not have to bother about the cost of producing a new Guinness ad campaign.
Instead, it has only to reach into an archive of Guinness promos.
Meanwhile, the punters are happy to take a trip down memory lane, such is the near-iconic status of Guinness adverts. Seriously, someone somewhere knows more than is healthy about Guinness ads.
At the same time, Diageo is getting "more bang for its buck" because media rates have fallen in the economic downturn, by up to 20% in some cases in the UK and US.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends