Blog: Guinness classic ads are pure genius
Olly Wehring | 4 March 2009
We don't know how long Diageo has been cooking up its plan to release 'classic' (ie, used) Guinness adverts to mark the Irish beer's 250th anniversary in 2009.
But, it seems to us that the timing could hardly be better for the drinks giant.
As recession laps at the shores of some of Diageo's biggest markets, the group does not have to bother about the cost of producing a new Guinness ad campaign.
Instead, it has only to reach into an archive of Guinness promos.
Meanwhile, the punters are happy to take a trip down memory lane, such is the near-iconic status of Guinness adverts. Seriously, someone somewhere knows more than is healthy about Guinness ads.
At the same time, Diageo is getting "more bang for its buck" because media rates have fallen in the economic downturn, by up to 20% in some cases in the UK and US.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits