Blog: Guinness classic ads are pure genius
Olly Wehring | 4 March 2009
We don't know how long Diageo has been cooking up its plan to release 'classic' (ie, used) Guinness adverts to mark the Irish beer's 250th anniversary in 2009.
But, it seems to us that the timing could hardly be better for the drinks giant.
As recession laps at the shores of some of Diageo's biggest markets, the group does not have to bother about the cost of producing a new Guinness ad campaign.
Instead, it has only to reach into an archive of Guinness promos.
Meanwhile, the punters are happy to take a trip down memory lane, such is the near-iconic status of Guinness adverts. Seriously, someone somewhere knows more than is healthy about Guinness ads.
At the same time, Diageo is getting "more bang for its buck" because media rates have fallen in the economic downturn, by up to 20% in some cases in the UK and US.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends