Blog: Guinness classic ads are pure genius
Olly Wehring | 4 March 2009
We don't know how long Diageo has been cooking up its plan to release 'classic' (ie, used) Guinness adverts to mark the Irish beer's 250th anniversary in 2009.
But, it seems to us that the timing could hardly be better for the drinks giant.
As recession laps at the shores of some of Diageo's biggest markets, the group does not have to bother about the cost of producing a new Guinness ad campaign.
Instead, it has only to reach into an archive of Guinness promos.
Meanwhile, the punters are happy to take a trip down memory lane, such is the near-iconic status of Guinness adverts. Seriously, someone somewhere knows more than is healthy about Guinness ads.
At the same time, Diageo is getting "more bang for its buck" because media rates have fallen in the economic downturn, by up to 20% in some cases in the UK and US.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Coca-Cola Amatil FY 2016 - results data
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends