Blog: Grupo Modelo - what gives?
Olly Wehring | 20 June 2008
Startling news to end the week on came in earlier this afternoon. The CEO of Grupo Modelo has quit his post on the board of Anheuser-Busch.
So, what's going on there, then? Neither side will say any more, but could it be, as one analyst reckons, that "Grupo Modelo doesn't want to get in the middle of the negotiations between InBev and A-B"?
Or has there been a falling-out between Carlos Fernandez and A-B? The US brewer has been rumoured to be looking to bid for the Mexican company, with A-B currently holding a 50%, non-controlling stake. The Fernandez family, which owns the other half and runs the company, is thought to prefer keeping Modelo in Mexican hands.
Curiouser and curiouser - what do you think?
Let us know.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends