Blog: Grupo Modelo - what gives?
Olly Wehring | 20 June 2008
Startling news to end the week on came in earlier this afternoon. The CEO of Grupo Modelo has quit his post on the board of Anheuser-Busch.
So, what's going on there, then? Neither side will say any more, but could it be, as one analyst reckons, that "Grupo Modelo doesn't want to get in the middle of the negotiations between InBev and A-B"?
Or has there been a falling-out between Carlos Fernandez and A-B? The US brewer has been rumoured to be looking to bid for the Mexican company, with A-B currently holding a 50%, non-controlling stake. The Fernandez family, which owns the other half and runs the company, is thought to prefer keeping Modelo in Mexican hands.
Curiouser and curiouser - what do you think?
Let us know.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends