Blog: Good job they weren’t going commando
Olly Wehring | 19 June 2006
The deal struck pre-World Cup between Anheuser-Busch and German brewer Bitburger was a victory for common sense, in which a compromise was found to keep both sides satisfied. While A-B maintained the presence it had paid for in the stadia for the viewing public to see, Bitburger helped keep some of the beer available in the stadia German, thereby sating the locals’ demand for a local brew.
Job done. But a new row appears to have broken out in Germany on the brewer front.
Dutch brewer Bavaria has been playing the patriot card, offering consumers the chance to buy orange lederhosen – with the Bavaria logo on the front.
Last Friday, when Holland faced the Ivory Coast, over 1,000 Dutch fans in the stadium were told to remove their Bavaria trousers, as Bavaria is not an official World Cup sponsor.
“It’s ridiculous,” Sjoerd Schreurs, a Dutch supporter who had to take his trousers off, told the Guardian. “I queued for 25 minutes to get in. When I reached the front, an official told me: ‘You’re not getting in like that’. I took my trousers off. I watched the game in my pants,” he added. “Fortunately I had quite a long T-shirt.”
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research