Blog: Good job they weren’t going commando
Olly Wehring | 19 June 2006
The deal struck pre-World Cup between Anheuser-Busch and German brewer Bitburger was a victory for common sense, in which a compromise was found to keep both sides satisfied. While A-B maintained the presence it had paid for in the stadia for the viewing public to see, Bitburger helped keep some of the beer available in the stadia German, thereby sating the locals’ demand for a local brew.
Job done. But a new row appears to have broken out in Germany on the brewer front.
Dutch brewer Bavaria has been playing the patriot card, offering consumers the chance to buy orange lederhosen – with the Bavaria logo on the front.
Last Friday, when Holland faced the Ivory Coast, over 1,000 Dutch fans in the stadium were told to remove their Bavaria trousers, as Bavaria is not an official World Cup sponsor.
“It’s ridiculous,” Sjoerd Schreurs, a Dutch supporter who had to take his trousers off, told the Guardian. “I queued for 25 minutes to get in. When I reached the front, an official told me: ‘You’re not getting in like that’. I took my trousers off. I watched the game in my pants,” he added. “Fortunately I had quite a long T-shirt.”
Yesterday was long. Very, very long. What started with an alarm in London at 0530 GMT ended with a Bacardi eight-year-old nightcap in Puerto Rico at 0730 GMT the following morning....
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- Beam Suntory to roll out "Scotch-infused" Bourbon
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Spirit Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts