Blog: Good job they weren’t going commando
Olly Wehring | 19 June 2006
The deal struck pre-World Cup between Anheuser-Busch and German brewer Bitburger was a victory for common sense, in which a compromise was found to keep both sides satisfied. While A-B maintained the presence it had paid for in the stadia for the viewing public to see, Bitburger helped keep some of the beer available in the stadia German, thereby sating the locals’ demand for a local brew.
Job done. But a new row appears to have broken out in Germany on the brewer front.
Dutch brewer Bavaria has been playing the patriot card, offering consumers the chance to buy orange lederhosen – with the Bavaria logo on the front.
Last Friday, when Holland faced the Ivory Coast, over 1,000 Dutch fans in the stadium were told to remove their Bavaria trousers, as Bavaria is not an official World Cup sponsor.
“It’s ridiculous,” Sjoerd Schreurs, a Dutch supporter who had to take his trousers off, told the Guardian. “I queued for 25 minutes to get in. When I reached the front, an official told me: ‘You’re not getting in like that’. I took my trousers off. I watched the game in my pants,” he added. “Fortunately I had quite a long T-shirt.”
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages