Blog: Good idea, or baaaad idea?
Olly Wehring | 11 July 2007
Researchers said today (11 July) that they are training sheep to weed vineyards, but abstain from eating the grapes. That’s right, aversion therapy for sheep. “Don’t go near the nasty grapes, Daisy, noooo, you stick to the leaves, my girl.”
These mutton mowers are said to be a green alternative to keeping vineyards trim, without having to spray on harmful chemicals or pollute using tractors. Simply, deploy the sheep.
It goes like this:
Sheep are: enthusiastic and unpicky eaters, much like myself.
Tractors are: loud and a bit gassy, much like myself.
Both are: pretty simple. But good at what they do, much like…
Don Watson, owner of Woolly Weeders in Colorado said that he prefers to use lambs, or short sheep, (the ones that wouldn’t be able to get on certain rides at theme parks, I imagine) since they can’t reach the grapes to devour them. Good thinking, Don.
Interestingly, it emerged that sheep actually *are* quite fussy and may have discriminating palates, after all. The research showed that they largely left alone red Aglianico grapes, but were clearly big fans of Chardonnay.
Trust the sheep to follow the herd.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Diageo reaches deal in Stitzel legal row