Blog: Good idea, or baaaad idea?
Olly Wehring | 11 July 2007
Researchers said today (11 July) that they are training sheep to weed vineyards, but abstain from eating the grapes. That’s right, aversion therapy for sheep. “Don’t go near the nasty grapes, Daisy, noooo, you stick to the leaves, my girl.”
These mutton mowers are said to be a green alternative to keeping vineyards trim, without having to spray on harmful chemicals or pollute using tractors. Simply, deploy the sheep.
It goes like this:
Sheep are: enthusiastic and unpicky eaters, much like myself.
Tractors are: loud and a bit gassy, much like myself.
Both are: pretty simple. But good at what they do, much like…
Don Watson, owner of Woolly Weeders in Colorado said that he prefers to use lambs, or short sheep, (the ones that wouldn’t be able to get on certain rides at theme parks, I imagine) since they can’t reach the grapes to devour them. Good thinking, Don.
Interestingly, it emerged that sheep actually *are* quite fussy and may have discriminating palates, after all. The research showed that they largely left alone red Aglianico grapes, but were clearly big fans of Chardonnay.
Trust the sheep to follow the herd.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends