Blog: Good idea, or baaaad idea?
Olly Wehring | 11 July 2007
Researchers said today (11 July) that they are training sheep to weed vineyards, but abstain from eating the grapes. That’s right, aversion therapy for sheep. “Don’t go near the nasty grapes, Daisy, noooo, you stick to the leaves, my girl.”
These mutton mowers are said to be a green alternative to keeping vineyards trim, without having to spray on harmful chemicals or pollute using tractors. Simply, deploy the sheep.
It goes like this:
Sheep are: enthusiastic and unpicky eaters, much like myself.
Tractors are: loud and a bit gassy, much like myself.
Both are: pretty simple. But good at what they do, much like…
Don Watson, owner of Woolly Weeders in Colorado said that he prefers to use lambs, or short sheep, (the ones that wouldn’t be able to get on certain rides at theme parks, I imagine) since they can’t reach the grapes to devour them. Good thinking, Don.
Interestingly, it emerged that sheep actually *are* quite fussy and may have discriminating palates, after all. The research showed that they largely left alone red Aglianico grapes, but were clearly big fans of Chardonnay.
Trust the sheep to follow the herd.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits