Blog: Good idea, or baaaad idea?
Olly Wehring | 11 July 2007
Researchers said today (11 July) that they are training sheep to weed vineyards, but abstain from eating the grapes. That’s right, aversion therapy for sheep. “Don’t go near the nasty grapes, Daisy, noooo, you stick to the leaves, my girl.”
These mutton mowers are said to be a green alternative to keeping vineyards trim, without having to spray on harmful chemicals or pollute using tractors. Simply, deploy the sheep.
It goes like this:
Sheep are: enthusiastic and unpicky eaters, much like myself.
Tractors are: loud and a bit gassy, much like myself.
Both are: pretty simple. But good at what they do, much like…
Don Watson, owner of Woolly Weeders in Colorado said that he prefers to use lambs, or short sheep, (the ones that wouldn’t be able to get on certain rides at theme parks, I imagine) since they can’t reach the grapes to devour them. Good thinking, Don.
Interestingly, it emerged that sheep actually *are* quite fussy and may have discriminating palates, after all. The research showed that they largely left alone red Aglianico grapes, but were clearly big fans of Chardonnay.
Trust the sheep to follow the herd.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World