Blog: Golden opportunity?
Chris Brook-Carter | 31 August 2004
As the dust settles on another successful Olympics, athletes will be evaluating their performance and so will the corporate sponsors. There was a plethora of articles on the subject of Olympic sponsorship today and link to one of them is below.
The thrust of most pieces written was whether the "greatest show on Earth" really represented bang for your marketing buck, given that sponsors such as Coca-Cola were spending up to US$65m each.
Scott McCune, Coca-Cola's vice president of world wide sports, entertainment and licensing argued that, "all the consumers and fans that go to the Olympics have the opportunity to be drinking Coca-Cola while they're watching the Olympics. And that's really the experience that we're looking for.
"The Olympics is truly a global property, yet it has local presence in all of the countries through the national Olympic committees. And Coca-Cola is certainly a global brand that is relevant in 200 plus countries around the world. So structurally, it's a very good match," he added. "And then from a branding standpoint, both Coca-Cola and the Olympics share some very important values
Another article was not so sure though. "For the International Olympic Committee and the Olympic movement, this money is vital. But whether the sponsors have spent their shareholders' money wisely — well, that's moot, to say the least. The reality is that the value of this type of advertising is poorly understood by advertisers," its author wrote.
The column added: "It's questionable whether brands that are already well known globally stand to gain much from their sponsorship."
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Editor's Viewpoint – What I've Learnt About Chile
- Interview - Concha y Toro Marketing Director
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review