Blog: Global spirits
Chris Brook-Carter | 2 August 2004
In the Scottish press today the Scotch whisky company Whyte & Mackay gave an insight into the recent corporate changes at the company which has seen seven of the company's senior executives leave over the past year.
The company has apparently been changing its culture to focus on the international market.
"If we were going to compete with the likes of Diageo, we knew we had to strengthen the management team. We need people who will make us a lot more agile than the big guys," a spokesman was quoted saying.
This year finance director Scott McCroskie, UK sales director Alan Lowndes and bulk sales director Nick Swan have left. They followed directors Brian Megson, Ian Palmer, Alan Mackie and Douglas Reid.
These people were integral in the original buyout from Jim Beam that took place in 2001. But interestingly the spokesman said that many of the old board had brought the Jim Beam culture with them, which didn't fit with, "our vision to become international players".
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report