Blog: Global spirits
Chris Brook-Carter | 2 August 2004
In the Scottish press today the Scotch whisky company Whyte & Mackay gave an insight into the recent corporate changes at the company which has seen seven of the company's senior executives leave over the past year.
The company has apparently been changing its culture to focus on the international market.
"If we were going to compete with the likes of Diageo, we knew we had to strengthen the management team. We need people who will make us a lot more agile than the big guys," a spokesman was quoted saying.
This year finance director Scott McCroskie, UK sales director Alan Lowndes and bulk sales director Nick Swan have left. They followed directors Brian Megson, Ian Palmer, Alan Mackie and Douglas Reid.
These people were integral in the original buyout from Jim Beam that took place in 2001. But interestingly the spokesman said that many of the old board had brought the Jim Beam culture with them, which didn't fit with, "our vision to become international players".
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends