Blog: Global spirits
Chris Brook-Carter | 2 August 2004
In the Scottish press today the Scotch whisky company Whyte & Mackay gave an insight into the recent corporate changes at the company which has seen seven of the company's senior executives leave over the past year.
The company has apparently been changing its culture to focus on the international market.
"If we were going to compete with the likes of Diageo, we knew we had to strengthen the management team. We need people who will make us a lot more agile than the big guys," a spokesman was quoted saying.
This year finance director Scott McCroskie, UK sales director Alan Lowndes and bulk sales director Nick Swan have left. They followed directors Brian Megson, Ian Palmer, Alan Mackie and Douglas Reid.
These people were integral in the original buyout from Jim Beam that took place in 2001. But interestingly the spokesman said that many of the old board had brought the Jim Beam culture with them, which didn't fit with, "our vision to become international players".
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research