Blog: Global spirits
Chris Brook-Carter | 2 August 2004
In the Scottish press today the Scotch whisky company Whyte & Mackay gave an insight into the recent corporate changes at the company which has seen seven of the company's senior executives leave over the past year.
The company has apparently been changing its culture to focus on the international market.
"If we were going to compete with the likes of Diageo, we knew we had to strengthen the management team. We need people who will make us a lot more agile than the big guys," a spokesman was quoted saying.
This year finance director Scott McCroskie, UK sales director Alan Lowndes and bulk sales director Nick Swan have left. They followed directors Brian Megson, Ian Palmer, Alan Mackie and Douglas Reid.
These people were integral in the original buyout from Jim Beam that took place in 2001. But interestingly the spokesman said that many of the old board had brought the Jim Beam culture with them, which didn't fit with, "our vision to become international players".
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages