Blog: Glenmorangie, Hardys and Heineken – The Drinks of Sports Billies
Olly Wehring | 23 May 2014
It's been a sporting week for me, and one I don't think I'll forget about for a very, very long time.
First up, I was with Moet Hennessy UK on Tuesday evening for a drinks reception to celebrate Glenmorangie's sponsorship of The Open Championship. In its final year this year, Moet Hennessy is all set to extend the tie-up with the golfing major and brought along the claret jug to the reception to celebrate.
The following day provided a 'dear diary' moment for me: The once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (for almost all of us) to walk out to bat at Lord's cricket ground. Accolade Wine's sponsorship deal with the England Cricket Board for its Hardys brand includes a day of corporate cricket. Knowing my love of the game as they do, the company very kindly invited me along. A day bracketed by meals in the hallowed Long Room – dinner was black tie, of course – has left me thoroughly sated on the sport front.
But, there's more. I'm on my way to Wales this morning, in preparation for tomorrow's Heineken Cup Final in Cardiff. Ahead of that, Heineken UK are hosting a day's golf at Celtic Manor, home of the 2010 Ryder Cup.
I'd share a photo with you of my day today, but right now that would comprise an image of Swindon train station in the rain.
And, no-one wants to see that.
Experts have said drinks and brands that do not centre around one gender will drive future trends, as modern consumers look to avoid stereotypes. ...
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
The managing director of Westons has been appointed the new chairperson of the UK's National Association of Cider Makers (NACM)....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends