Blog: Geysers, waterfalls and lagoons ....
Olly Wehring | 29 September 2008
Last week, just-drinks was fortunate enough to be invited to Iceland for the opening of Icelandic Water Holdings’ new bottling facility for its Icelandic Glacial mineral water.
As a country, Iceland was always on my list of places to visit before I die, and I can honestly say I wasn’t disappointed in the slightest.
Despite holding the title for the highest rate of suicides in the world…so our tour guide informed us… the country really does have a lot to offer. Our visit to the Golden Circle, the Gulfoss waterfall and The Blue Lagoon were worth the trip alone.
The country is volcanically active on a large scale and offers spouting geysers, glaciers and magnificent waterfalls, so it was only a matter of time before a company chose to use this as the basis for its product.
Icelandic Water Holdings is keen to emphasise the sourcing of its water from the Olfus Spring, as well as the environmental credentials of its product. Its new plant in Hlidarendi has continued this theme by using “green natural energy” and operating entirely on geothermal and hydroelectric power.
I was fortunate enough to be in the country for five days and, whilst preparing for an evening at the new plant last week, I coincidentally caught a news piece on the TV about how other countries are looking to Iceland as an example in using alternative energy resources.
I do believe we could learn a lot from the country who gave us Bjork, but for those who were not to be on the same trip as me, I’ve attached a small video clip for anyone wondering what a spouting geyser is….MR.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends