Blog: Get this party started
Olly Wehring | 11 June 2009
Diageo has launched a J&B Scotch whisky-branded mirrorball into the skies, claiming it is the "first ever mirrorball into the stratosphere".
Diageo worked with the University of Cambridge Space Flight team to attach a mirrorball to a helium weather balloon, said Diageo in a release sent out today (11 June).
It's all part of J&B's 'Start a Party' promotion campaign.
"Launched from the English countryside, the mirrorball and helium balloon took four hours and twenty-seven minutes to travel up the jet stream, making it the world's highest mirrorball."
Which leaves us with one question. Why?
According to Diageo, "sending a mirrorball into the stratosphere for the first time shows the world and rest of the universe we know how to start a party anywhere, anytime".
If you say so.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends