Blog: Get ratted
Chris Brook-Carter | 26 March 2004
The healthy bandwagon has a new passenger as news announced this week suggested that sherry may have the same health benefits as red wine.
The finding was published in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture and said that sherry, according to researchers at the University of Seville, contains antioxidants called polyphenols – also present in red wine - which reduce the occurrence of coronary artery disease.
Drinking sherry can also increase the body's production of High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, which is associated with longevity and a decreased incidence of coronary artery disease.
Interestingly, to test the effects, rats were given daily quantities of sherry equivalent to a 150ml serving in an adult weighing 70kg. Control rats were given the same amount of either water or ethanol in water. The intake of sherry every day at 16:00 over two months did not affect the weight of the rats or have any other significant impact on other metabolic processes - but it did result in the decrease in serum total (bad) cholesterol and an increase in HDL (good) cholesterol.
Those from Jerez have denied, of course, that this is just a way of shifting excess stocks.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research