Blog: Get ratted
Chris Brook-Carter | 26 March 2004
The healthy bandwagon has a new passenger as news announced this week suggested that sherry may have the same health benefits as red wine.
The finding was published in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture and said that sherry, according to researchers at the University of Seville, contains antioxidants called polyphenols – also present in red wine - which reduce the occurrence of coronary artery disease.
Drinking sherry can also increase the body's production of High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, which is associated with longevity and a decreased incidence of coronary artery disease.
Interestingly, to test the effects, rats were given daily quantities of sherry equivalent to a 150ml serving in an adult weighing 70kg. Control rats were given the same amount of either water or ethanol in water. The intake of sherry every day at 16:00 over two months did not affect the weight of the rats or have any other significant impact on other metabolic processes - but it did result in the decrease in serum total (bad) cholesterol and an increase in HDL (good) cholesterol.
Those from Jerez have denied, of course, that this is just a way of shifting excess stocks.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review