Blog: Get ratted
Chris Brook-Carter | 26 March 2004
The healthy bandwagon has a new passenger as news announced this week suggested that sherry may have the same health benefits as red wine.
The finding was published in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture and said that sherry, according to researchers at the University of Seville, contains antioxidants called polyphenols – also present in red wine - which reduce the occurrence of coronary artery disease.
Drinking sherry can also increase the body's production of High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, which is associated with longevity and a decreased incidence of coronary artery disease.
Interestingly, to test the effects, rats were given daily quantities of sherry equivalent to a 150ml serving in an adult weighing 70kg. Control rats were given the same amount of either water or ethanol in water. The intake of sherry every day at 16:00 over two months did not affect the weight of the rats or have any other significant impact on other metabolic processes - but it did result in the decrease in serum total (bad) cholesterol and an increase in HDL (good) cholesterol.
Those from Jerez have denied, of course, that this is just a way of shifting excess stocks.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends