Blog: Gatorade to lose Tiger Focus
Chris Mercer | 22 March 2010
Gatorade Tiger Focus was the sixth best-selling food and drink brand launched in the US 2009, according to a report. Yet, PepsiCo is discontinuing the product.
Gatorade Tiger Focus saw net sales of US$65m in 2009, according to research published today (22 March) by Information Resources Inc. That makes it the sixth best food and drink product launch of 2009 in IRI's league table and the most successful soft drink launch.
But, hang on, PepsiCo announced in December that it would discontinue the brand, which is named after golfer Tiger Woods, in order "to make room for our planned series of innovative products in 2010".
It told just-drinks that the move had been made internally "several months" previously and had nothing to do with the revelations about Tiger Woods' private life.
PepsiCo has since dropped Woods as a sponsor of any Gatorade products, saying that it "no longer sees a role" for the champion golfer.
This is despite PepsiCo also claiming that it wants to align Gatorade more closely with athletic performance.
The mind boggles...
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends