Blog: Gatorade to lose Tiger Focus
Chris Mercer | 22 March 2010
Gatorade Tiger Focus was the sixth best-selling food and drink brand launched in the US 2009, according to a report. Yet, PepsiCo is discontinuing the product.
Gatorade Tiger Focus saw net sales of US$65m in 2009, according to research published today (22 March) by Information Resources Inc. That makes it the sixth best food and drink product launch of 2009 in IRI's league table and the most successful soft drink launch.
But, hang on, PepsiCo announced in December that it would discontinue the brand, which is named after golfer Tiger Woods, in order "to make room for our planned series of innovative products in 2010".
It told just-drinks that the move had been made internally "several months" previously and had nothing to do with the revelations about Tiger Woods' private life.
PepsiCo has since dropped Woods as a sponsor of any Gatorade products, saying that it "no longer sees a role" for the champion golfer.
This is despite PepsiCo also claiming that it wants to align Gatorade more closely with athletic performance.
The mind boggles...
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends