Blog: Gallic shrug-off
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 October 2003
Being right at the coalface of the industry, Hillebrand gave a very interesting perspective of the wine market.
Inevitably conversation got round to the health of the US market, where, Hillebrand says, volumes continue to be buoyant, even if consumers are still trading down. However, what struck me most was Debois' comments over the state of French exports to the country. The immediate impact of France's objections to the Iraq war and the subsequent boycott on French products, he said, had blown over. However, the French wine industry would continue to suffer from the long term damage done, he believed, which includes not just the physical drop in sales but also the immeasurable impact of consumers trying and seeking alternatives to French wine.
It is of course a situation that mirrors the boycott of French wines in Scandinavia following the nuclear testing by the French government in the South Pacific, a course of action that introduced consumers to wines from other countries and is still costing French wine dear.
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
While analysts mull the numbers of Anheuser-Busch InBev's impending offer for SABMiller, there's a timely reminder in The Times newspaper this week that the proposed deal may yet fall victim to other ...
Part of my lot on just-drinks is to nail down senior executives within our industry – the more senior the better. I've enjoyed interviewing many of the CEOs within our ranks, but one that I have never...
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research