Blog: Gallic shrug-off
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 October 2003
Being right at the coalface of the industry, Hillebrand gave a very interesting perspective of the wine market.
Inevitably conversation got round to the health of the US market, where, Hillebrand says, volumes continue to be buoyant, even if consumers are still trading down. However, what struck me most was Debois' comments over the state of French exports to the country. The immediate impact of France's objections to the Iraq war and the subsequent boycott on French products, he said, had blown over. However, the French wine industry would continue to suffer from the long term damage done, he believed, which includes not just the physical drop in sales but also the immeasurable impact of consumers trying and seeking alternatives to French wine.
It is of course a situation that mirrors the boycott of French wines in Scandinavia following the nuclear testing by the French government in the South Pacific, a course of action that introduced consumers to wines from other countries and is still costing French wine dear.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends