Blog: Gallic shrug-off
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 October 2003
Being right at the coalface of the industry, Hillebrand gave a very interesting perspective of the wine market.
Inevitably conversation got round to the health of the US market, where, Hillebrand says, volumes continue to be buoyant, even if consumers are still trading down. However, what struck me most was Debois' comments over the state of French exports to the country. The immediate impact of France's objections to the Iraq war and the subsequent boycott on French products, he said, had blown over. However, the French wine industry would continue to suffer from the long term damage done, he believed, which includes not just the physical drop in sales but also the immeasurable impact of consumers trying and seeking alternatives to French wine.
It is of course a situation that mirrors the boycott of French wines in Scandinavia following the nuclear testing by the French government in the South Pacific, a course of action that introduced consumers to wines from other countries and is still costing French wine dear.
Knowledge is power, or so they claim. So, with that in mind, here's an infographic, courtesy of Australian company Hangover Revivol, that breaks down exactly what is behind the common hangover....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Can the New World Learn a Lesson from the Old?
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Diageo's Special Releases 2014
- LIVE BLOG: Industry responds to Scotland 'No' vote