Blog: From the coal-face to Old Trafford
Chris Mercer | 19 October 2010
The 33 most famous miners in the world have been offered free executive tickets to watch Manchester United, courtesy of Vina Concha y Toro.
Free seats at United's Old Trafford stadium are now so scarce that you have to spend 69 days trapped underground just to get one.
Concha y Toro said yesterday that it has pulled a few sponsorship strings to wangle tickets to a match in 2011 for the 33 Chilean miners, who were freed from their ordeal last week - an ordeal you'll know all about, unless you too have spent the last three months in a subterranean wilderness.
"Given that so many of the 33 miners are soccer fans, the invitation to enjoy an international-level game at Old Trafford is one we believe they will particularly appreciate," said Concha y Toro's vice chairman, Rafael Guilisasti.
Among the 33 is ex-Chile international footballer Frankie Lobos.
Given the state of Manhester United's finances and the speculation about star player Wayne Rooney's impending exit, Lobos could find himself more than a spectator at the game next year.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Molson Coors' Rekorderlig Cider Cocktails - NPD
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends