Blog: From the coal-face to Old Trafford
Chris Mercer | 19 October 2010
The 33 most famous miners in the world have been offered free executive tickets to watch Manchester United, courtesy of Vina Concha y Toro.
Free seats at United's Old Trafford stadium are now so scarce that you have to spend 69 days trapped underground just to get one.
Concha y Toro said yesterday that it has pulled a few sponsorship strings to wangle tickets to a match in 2011 for the 33 Chilean miners, who were freed from their ordeal last week - an ordeal you'll know all about, unless you too have spent the last three months in a subterranean wilderness.
"Given that so many of the 33 miners are soccer fans, the invitation to enjoy an international-level game at Old Trafford is one we believe they will particularly appreciate," said Concha y Toro's vice chairman, Rafael Guilisasti.
Among the 33 is ex-Chile international footballer Frankie Lobos.
Given the state of Manhester United's finances and the speculation about star player Wayne Rooney's impending exit, Lobos could find himself more than a spectator at the game next year.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets