Blog: From the coal-face to Old Trafford
Chris Mercer | 19 October 2010
The 33 most famous miners in the world have been offered free executive tickets to watch Manchester United, courtesy of Vina Concha y Toro.
Free seats at United's Old Trafford stadium are now so scarce that you have to spend 69 days trapped underground just to get one.
Concha y Toro said yesterday that it has pulled a few sponsorship strings to wangle tickets to a match in 2011 for the 33 Chilean miners, who were freed from their ordeal last week - an ordeal you'll know all about, unless you too have spent the last three months in a subterranean wilderness.
"Given that so many of the 33 miners are soccer fans, the invitation to enjoy an international-level game at Old Trafford is one we believe they will particularly appreciate," said Concha y Toro's vice chairman, Rafael Guilisasti.
Among the 33 is ex-Chile international footballer Frankie Lobos.
Given the state of Manhester United's finances and the speculation about star player Wayne Rooney's impending exit, Lobos could find himself more than a spectator at the game next year.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Coca-Cola Co promotes CEO's assistant to sales job
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018