Blog: From medicine to wine: IWSC president Catena offers a good dose
James Wilmore | 13 November 2014
A large swathe of wine and spirits folk gathered for the IWSC's annual awards banquet at London's Guild Hall last night.
Puncturing the seemingly endless awards (is there more every year?), was a charming speech by the IWSC's current president, Laura Catena. Her infectious manner, and quips about her whisk(e)y-swilling husband, enchanted much of the audience.
Among Catena's anecdotes was the fact she performed a last-minute career swerve into wine after a tricky conversation convincing a buyer of the merits of Malbec. Up until that point a life in medicine awaited, but the Argentinian assured the audience she was still qualified to deal with emergencies. Thankfully, there were no obvious casualties during the proceedings.
Incoming president Neil McGuigan, of Australian Vintage, will have a job to match Catena's speech next year. But as a straight-talking Aussie, I'm sure he'll give it a good go.
For full details of award winners, click here
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research