Blog: From medicine to wine: IWSC president Catena offers a good dose
James Wilmore | 13 November 2014
A large swathe of wine and spirits folk gathered for the IWSC's annual awards banquet at London's Guild Hall last night.
Puncturing the seemingly endless awards (is there more every year?), was a charming speech by the IWSC's current president, Laura Catena. Her infectious manner, and quips about her whisk(e)y-swilling husband, enchanted much of the audience.
Among Catena's anecdotes was the fact she performed a last-minute career swerve into wine after a tricky conversation convincing a buyer of the merits of Malbec. Up until that point a life in medicine awaited, but the Argentinian assured the audience she was still qualified to deal with emergencies. Thankfully, there were no obvious casualties during the proceedings.
Incoming president Neil McGuigan, of Australian Vintage, will have a job to match Catena's speech next year. But as a straight-talking Aussie, I'm sure he'll give it a good go.
For full details of award winners, click here
Philip Gregan, the CEO of trade organisation New Zealand Winegrowers was in London this week for the country's annual UK trade tasting. He sat down with just-drinks to talk Brexit, Trump and the futur...
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits