Blog: From medicine to wine: IWSC president Catena offers a good dose
James Wilmore | 13 November 2014
A large swathe of wine and spirits folk gathered for the IWSC's annual awards banquet at London's Guild Hall last night.
Puncturing the seemingly endless awards (is there more every year?), was a charming speech by the IWSC's current president, Laura Catena. Her infectious manner, and quips about her whisk(e)y-swilling husband, enchanted much of the audience.
Among Catena's anecdotes was the fact she performed a last-minute career swerve into wine after a tricky conversation convincing a buyer of the merits of Malbec. Up until that point a life in medicine awaited, but the Argentinian assured the audience she was still qualified to deal with emergencies. Thankfully, there were no obvious casualties during the proceedings.
Incoming president Neil McGuigan, of Australian Vintage, will have a job to match Catena's speech next year. But as a straight-talking Aussie, I'm sure he'll give it a good go.
For full details of award winners, click here
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Pernod Ricard yesterday announced a 4% rise in organic sales in the nine months to the end of March. Here's a rundown of the top-line figures by region:...
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Strong growth in the US has helped drive solid nine-month sales for Pernod Ricard despite continued weakness for Absolut vodka....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends