Blog: From medicine to wine: IWSC president Catena offers a good dose
James Wilmore | 13 November 2014
A large swathe of wine and spirits folk gathered for the IWSC's annual awards banquet at London's Guild Hall last night.
Puncturing the seemingly endless awards (is there more every year?), was a charming speech by the IWSC's current president, Laura Catena. Her infectious manner, and quips about her whisk(e)y-swilling husband, enchanted much of the audience.
Among Catena's anecdotes was the fact she performed a last-minute career swerve into wine after a tricky conversation convincing a buyer of the merits of Malbec. Up until that point a life in medicine awaited, but the Argentinian assured the audience she was still qualified to deal with emergencies. Thankfully, there were no obvious casualties during the proceedings.
Incoming president Neil McGuigan, of Australian Vintage, will have a job to match Catena's speech next year. But as a straight-talking Aussie, I'm sure he'll give it a good go.
For full details of award winners, click here
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends