Blog: Friends to die for
Chris Mercer | 9 June 2010
View from Laphroaig distillery, Islay. Photo: Chris Mercer
Laphroaig is probably creating envy in the Scotch whisky world and beyond by making a success of its online community.
Every company wants an online community in this 'MyFace' age, but few can pull it off.
More often than not, one imagines, marketeers are left to create buzz on comment pages, their true affiliations cloaked by pseudonyms.
This is why Laphroaig stands out.
The Scotch whisky distiller gathered a few "important trade journalists" (their words, not mine...) to a dinner at London's self-proclaimed oldest restaurant last night for a catch-up.
Master distiller Robert Hicks announced that the Friends of Laphroaig on- and off-line community has reached 400,000 members. It even has a member in Iraq.
As one company representative, who shall remain nameless, then quipped: "Diageo would kill for that."
So would a fair few others, I'd wager. Laphroaig got in the game early - 1994 - and has offered its members concrete benefits such as first dibs on new releases and also reduced prices.
They also get a square foot of land on Islay, where the whisky is distilled. (I should confess my interests now and say that I, too, have a square foot of land on the island courtesy of you-know-who.)
That bias aside, Laphroaig has laid a benchmark that others must try and emulate.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends