Blog: Friends to die for
Chris Mercer | 9 June 2010
View from Laphroaig distillery, Islay. Photo: Chris Mercer
Laphroaig is probably creating envy in the Scotch whisky world and beyond by making a success of its online community.
Every company wants an online community in this 'MyFace' age, but few can pull it off.
More often than not, one imagines, marketeers are left to create buzz on comment pages, their true affiliations cloaked by pseudonyms.
This is why Laphroaig stands out.
The Scotch whisky distiller gathered a few "important trade journalists" (their words, not mine...) to a dinner at London's self-proclaimed oldest restaurant last night for a catch-up.
Master distiller Robert Hicks announced that the Friends of Laphroaig on- and off-line community has reached 400,000 members. It even has a member in Iraq.
As one company representative, who shall remain nameless, then quipped: "Diageo would kill for that."
So would a fair few others, I'd wager. Laphroaig got in the game early - 1994 - and has offered its members concrete benefits such as first dibs on new releases and also reduced prices.
They also get a square foot of land on Islay, where the whisky is distilled. (I should confess my interests now and say that I, too, have a square foot of land on the island courtesy of you-know-who.)
That bias aside, Laphroaig has laid a benchmark that others must try and emulate.
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends