Blog: Fridges see cool returns for Treasury Wine Estates
Andy Morton | 16 July 2015
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news.
The Australian-based wine producer was in all sorts of trouble last year, after some well-documented write-downs in the US and significant net profits declines. Now, one of the strategies CEO Michael Clarke implemented to turn things around seems to be paying off. And it's all because of cheap fridges.
In June last year, Clarke announced a promotion in Australia that saw wine fridges offered at discount prices. The 32-bottle fridges had an SRP of AUD640 (US$470) but were available for about AUD200 to any consumer that bought six bottles of Penfolds. The company shifted an impressive 12,000 fridges.
Now an expanded promotion for a 120-bottle fridge is finding similar success, according to the Sydney Morning Herald. Retailers, the newspaper said, have been surprised at the amount of consumers willing to pay at least AUD500 on TWE brands so they can get two-thirds off the AUD3,000 “mega-fridge”.
Meanwhile, sales of the smaller fridge remain strong. “Even the average Joe coming in off the street is interested in the small one,” one retailer was quoted as saying.
Clarke, who is in the middle of a large-scale cost-cutting plan at TWE, may need more than fridges to get the company back on track. But it's a cool start.
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research