Blog: French wine - as clear as mud?
Olly Wehring | 10 September 2006
Just when the French wine industry makes noises suggesting it is simplifying its offering to consumers, the body in charge of creating appellations has created two more - and extended two others.
The Institut National des Appellations d’Origine’s decision this week to create two new appellations - both in the Loire - and extend two in the Languedoc, comes as the industry is fighting to win back drinkers from their New World rivals.
Appellations, or AOCs, are intended to recognise the high quality and specific characteristics of wine produced in a given region. However, with over 450 regions in France with AOC status, wine drinkers around the world - and even in France - can be forgiven for feeling confused over which wine to buy and from where. Adding yet more AOCs into the mix will only add to that confusion - and drive consumers to the more simplified offerings provided by Australia, the US and the rest of the New World.
The French wine industry is starting to embrace the concept of wine brands and has begun to accept that AOC status is no longer a reference point for the consumer in the same way as brand and grape variety are.
But this message is taking time to get through to all in the French wine industry. It’s taken around 15 year's of New World pressure for France to lose its market leading position in a market like the UK - it could take the country as long again to win it back.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research