Blog: French to get another whupping from the US?
Olly Wehring | 3 April 2007
It seems like Hollywood’s love affair with the wine world is alive and well. After Sideways and … all the other wine-related blockbusters, the ‘Made for Hollywood’ story of the 1976 Paris wine tasting is next to hit the silver screen.
At the blind tasting, presided over by a panel of French judges, California Cabernet Sauvignons and Chardonnays were tasted against their French counterparts. When the scores were tallied, Warren Winiarski’s Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon and Mike Grgich’s Chardonnay from Chateau Montelena took top honours, ahead of the French.
Of course, Hollywood’s handling of this could make for pretty stereotypical viewing – I imagine the French are going to look evil and shifty with lots of moustache-end twiddling, and the Americans are going to be high-fiving in slow-mo.
But wouldn’t this film have gone down an awful lot better in the US four years ago, when the Iraq war broke out? They’d have been whooping in the aisles, surely?
While chomping on their ‘Freedom Fries’.
The film, which will be based on the book ‘The Judgement of Paris’ by George Taber, is set to begin shooting towards the end of this month.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits