Blog: French to get another whupping from the US?
Olly Wehring | 3 April 2007
It seems like Hollywood’s love affair with the wine world is alive and well. After Sideways and … all the other wine-related blockbusters, the ‘Made for Hollywood’ story of the 1976 Paris wine tasting is next to hit the silver screen.
At the blind tasting, presided over by a panel of French judges, California Cabernet Sauvignons and Chardonnays were tasted against their French counterparts. When the scores were tallied, Warren Winiarski’s Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon and Mike Grgich’s Chardonnay from Chateau Montelena took top honours, ahead of the French.
Of course, Hollywood’s handling of this could make for pretty stereotypical viewing – I imagine the French are going to look evil and shifty with lots of moustache-end twiddling, and the Americans are going to be high-fiving in slow-mo.
But wouldn’t this film have gone down an awful lot better in the US four years ago, when the Iraq war broke out? They’d have been whooping in the aisles, surely?
While chomping on their ‘Freedom Fries’.
The film, which will be based on the book ‘The Judgement of Paris’ by George Taber, is set to begin shooting towards the end of this month.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends