Blog: French to get another whupping from the US?
Olly Wehring | 3 April 2007
It seems like Hollywood’s love affair with the wine world is alive and well. After Sideways and … all the other wine-related blockbusters, the ‘Made for Hollywood’ story of the 1976 Paris wine tasting is next to hit the silver screen.
At the blind tasting, presided over by a panel of French judges, California Cabernet Sauvignons and Chardonnays were tasted against their French counterparts. When the scores were tallied, Warren Winiarski’s Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon and Mike Grgich’s Chardonnay from Chateau Montelena took top honours, ahead of the French.
Of course, Hollywood’s handling of this could make for pretty stereotypical viewing – I imagine the French are going to look evil and shifty with lots of moustache-end twiddling, and the Americans are going to be high-fiving in slow-mo.
But wouldn’t this film have gone down an awful lot better in the US four years ago, when the Iraq war broke out? They’d have been whooping in the aisles, surely?
While chomping on their ‘Freedom Fries’.
The film, which will be based on the book ‘The Judgement of Paris’ by George Taber, is set to begin shooting towards the end of this month.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- CCBA partner "in place by 2018" - Coca-Cola
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends