Blog: French to get another whupping from the US?
Olly Wehring | 3 April 2007
It seems like Hollywood’s love affair with the wine world is alive and well. After Sideways and … all the other wine-related blockbusters, the ‘Made for Hollywood’ story of the 1976 Paris wine tasting is next to hit the silver screen.
At the blind tasting, presided over by a panel of French judges, California Cabernet Sauvignons and Chardonnays were tasted against their French counterparts. When the scores were tallied, Warren Winiarski’s Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon and Mike Grgich’s Chardonnay from Chateau Montelena took top honours, ahead of the French.
Of course, Hollywood’s handling of this could make for pretty stereotypical viewing – I imagine the French are going to look evil and shifty with lots of moustache-end twiddling, and the Americans are going to be high-fiving in slow-mo.
But wouldn’t this film have gone down an awful lot better in the US four years ago, when the Iraq war broke out? They’d have been whooping in the aisles, surely?
While chomping on their ‘Freedom Fries’.
The film, which will be based on the book ‘The Judgement of Paris’ by George Taber, is set to begin shooting towards the end of this month.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends