Blog: French CEOs to pick up national tax bill
Chris Mercer | 24 August 2011
CEOs of some of France's largest companies, including Evian water producer Danone, have said that they are willing to pay a one-off tax contribution to help the country reduce its debt.
No, we're not taking drugs. This is really happening, as evidenced by an open letter published in France's Nouvel Observateur magazine today (24 August) - how's your French?. Danone CEO Franck Riboud is among the high-level signatories of the letter, which says that the gesture to pay a one-off tax contribution comes amid concern for the economic future of France and Europe.
Shall we be cynical? Yes? What a fantastic bit of publicity this is, for both the companies and the government. Let's not pretend for one moment that the contribution will touch the sides of France's long-standing debt problems.
That said, it is a very unusual move, and something similar has already been proposed by US billionaire Warren Buffet in his own country of birth. For symbolism alone, it is worthy of note.
Tomorrow, I shall be interviewing Diageo's CEO, Paul Walsh, on the drinks giant's full-year results. What odds would you put on UK CEOs following the French lead?
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends