Blog: French CEOs to pick up national tax bill
Chris Mercer | 24 August 2011
CEOs of some of France's largest companies, including Evian water producer Danone, have said that they are willing to pay a one-off tax contribution to help the country reduce its debt.
No, we're not taking drugs. This is really happening, as evidenced by an open letter published in France's Nouvel Observateur magazine today (24 August) - how's your French?. Danone CEO Franck Riboud is among the high-level signatories of the letter, which says that the gesture to pay a one-off tax contribution comes amid concern for the economic future of France and Europe.
Shall we be cynical? Yes? What a fantastic bit of publicity this is, for both the companies and the government. Let's not pretend for one moment that the contribution will touch the sides of France's long-standing debt problems.
That said, it is a very unusual move, and something similar has already been proposed by US billionaire Warren Buffet in his own country of birth. For symbolism alone, it is worthy of note.
Tomorrow, I shall be interviewing Diageo's CEO, Paul Walsh, on the drinks giant's full-year results. What odds would you put on UK CEOs following the French lead?
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research