Blog: France's southern winegrowers vie for award - and respect
Andy Morton | 5 June 2014
Among the bustle of - in my opinion - a rejuvenated London Wine Fair this week was a competition to honour the best wines of France's Languedoc-Roussillon region.
The Sud de France Top 100, now in its second year, is one of the many schemes that help bring to light some of the great products coming out of the wine world these days. But of particular interest with this one is its role in the on-going attempt to overhaul the reputation of Languedoc-Roussillon, once viewed solely as a bulk supplier of wine.
Last year, I visited the vineyards of Languedoc wine cooperative Les Vignobles Foncalieu, where I heard first-hand about efforts to premiumise and grab share of the higher-margin market. It is a process seen by many there as vital if the region's proud heritage as one of France's main wine producers is to be carried on.
This week's competition, overseen by master of wine Tim Atkin and an expert panel, was aimed at continuing that work, with 664 wines vying to make the list. But with premiumisation the watchword of the entire wine industry, France's southern growers will face stiffer competition than each other when it comes to tackling an ever-more competitive market.
For more info on the Sud de France Top 100, click here.
Pernod Ricard's Cognac unit, Maison Martell, is about to celebrate its 300th anniversary. just-drinks caught up with Philippe Guettat, Martell's CEO & chairman, to discuss how the party preparations a...
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- Martell's CEO & chairman, Philippe Guettat
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Currency woes hurt Latin American FTZs - Diageo
- A-B InBev snaps up Bogotá Beer Co in Colombia
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Beam Suntory defeats 'handmade' lawsuit
- Diageo Canada adds new RTD canning line
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review