Blog: France's southern winegrowers vie for award - and respect
Andy Morton | 5 June 2014
Among the bustle of - in my opinion - a rejuvenated London Wine Fair this week was a competition to honour the best wines of France's Languedoc-Roussillon region.
The Sud de France Top 100, now in its second year, is one of the many schemes that help bring to light some of the great products coming out of the wine world these days. But of particular interest with this one is its role in the on-going attempt to overhaul the reputation of Languedoc-Roussillon, once viewed solely as a bulk supplier of wine.
Last year, I visited the vineyards of Languedoc wine cooperative Les Vignobles Foncalieu, where I heard first-hand about efforts to premiumise and grab share of the higher-margin market. It is a process seen by many there as vital if the region's proud heritage as one of France's main wine producers is to be carried on.
This week's competition, overseen by master of wine Tim Atkin and an expert panel, was aimed at continuing that work, with 664 wines vying to make the list. But with premiumisation the watchword of the entire wine industry, France's southern growers will face stiffer competition than each other when it comes to tackling an ever-more competitive market.
For more info on the Sud de France Top 100, click here.
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research