Blog: France's southern winegrowers vie for award - and respect
Andy Morton | 5 June 2014
Among the bustle of - in my opinion - a rejuvenated London Wine Fair this week was a competition to honour the best wines of France's Languedoc-Roussillon region.
The Sud de France Top 100, now in its second year, is one of the many schemes that help bring to light some of the great products coming out of the wine world these days. But of particular interest with this one is its role in the on-going attempt to overhaul the reputation of Languedoc-Roussillon, once viewed solely as a bulk supplier of wine.
Last year, I visited the vineyards of Languedoc wine cooperative Les Vignobles Foncalieu, where I heard first-hand about efforts to premiumise and grab share of the higher-margin market. It is a process seen by many there as vital if the region's proud heritage as one of France's main wine producers is to be carried on.
This week's competition, overseen by master of wine Tim Atkin and an expert panel, was aimed at continuing that work, with 664 wines vying to make the list. But with premiumisation the watchword of the entire wine industry, France's southern growers will face stiffer competition than each other when it comes to tackling an ever-more competitive market.
For more info on the Sud de France Top 100, click here.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
Almost two-thirds of US states have now banned powdered alcohol, as California moves closer to its own prohibition....
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The Yalumba Wine Co has switched distributors in China after 11 years with Summergate....
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Premiumisation comes to bottled water - NPD
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Carbonates in India