Blog: France drops to British standards
Olly Wehring | 10 January 2007
Into London town today (10 January), for a chat with the folk from the Vinexpo wine exhibition. The event, to be held in Bordeaux this June, is a sell-out with exhibitors and the organisers having high hopes for an impressive turn-out from the likes of you and me.
Rest assured, just-drinks will be there to give you the inside track.
Quote of the day came from Vinexpo’s president, Jean-Marie Chadronnier. When asked for his opinion on global wine consumption, in particular that of his home nation, the Frenchman said: “Wine consumption in France over the last few years has fallen to a similar level - and changed to a similar style - to the UK. A lot of people who have contributed to the high levels of the past have since died.”
As titters started to spread across the room, he expanded: “That’s because of old age, I assure you. Not from drinking too much wine.”
So, not exactly the same style as the UK, then?
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
The US state of Arkansas goes to the polls on 4 November to decide whether to end so-called “dry” counties, meaning ones that don't allow any alcohol sales. About half of the state's 75 counties are a...
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Can the New World Learn a Lesson from the Old?
- Guinness: A Great Day for St James's Gate
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Diageo's Special Releases 2014
- SABMiller, Heineken silent on takeover offer talk