Blog: France drops to British standards
Olly Wehring | 10 January 2007
Into London town today (10 January), for a chat with the folk from the Vinexpo wine exhibition. The event, to be held in Bordeaux this June, is a sell-out with exhibitors and the organisers having high hopes for an impressive turn-out from the likes of you and me.
Rest assured, just-drinks will be there to give you the inside track.
Quote of the day came from Vinexpo’s president, Jean-Marie Chadronnier. When asked for his opinion on global wine consumption, in particular that of his home nation, the Frenchman said: “Wine consumption in France over the last few years has fallen to a similar level - and changed to a similar style - to the UK. A lot of people who have contributed to the high levels of the past have since died.”
As titters started to spread across the room, he expanded: “That’s because of old age, I assure you. Not from drinking too much wine.”
So, not exactly the same style as the UK, then?
Here's a brave move by the folk from Camerata at Paulie's in Houston: a wine-related parody of Summer Nights from Grease....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring The Coca-Cola Co and Monster Beverage Corp, Constellation Brands, Anheuser-Busch InBev and Australia's wine producers....
UK brewer Timothy Taylor is back in the headlines after winning 'Champion Beer of Britain' at the Great British Beer Festival (GBBF) today. ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Guinness, Campari, Vitaminwater and Treasury Wine Estates....
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Has Coca-Cola Jumped From Frying Pan to Fire?
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- Focus - Heineken's H1 Performance by Region
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Portman finds against Diageo "mix it up" tagline
- Diageo appoints head for Asia marketing unit
- Bacardi sees North America president step down