Blog: France drops to British standards
Olly Wehring | 10 January 2007
Into London town today (10 January), for a chat with the folk from the Vinexpo wine exhibition. The event, to be held in Bordeaux this June, is a sell-out with exhibitors and the organisers having high hopes for an impressive turn-out from the likes of you and me.
Rest assured, just-drinks will be there to give you the inside track.
Quote of the day came from Vinexpo’s president, Jean-Marie Chadronnier. When asked for his opinion on global wine consumption, in particular that of his home nation, the Frenchman said: “Wine consumption in France over the last few years has fallen to a similar level - and changed to a similar style - to the UK. A lot of people who have contributed to the high levels of the past have since died.”
As titters started to spread across the room, he expanded: “That’s because of old age, I assure you. Not from drinking too much wine.”
So, not exactly the same style as the UK, then?
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo and Coca-Cola Co, Castel, Molson Coors and the cachaca sector....
There was a big focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC)....
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Coca-Cola Life, Australian Vintage, Pernod Ricard and BrewDog....
- just The Preview - Diageo's FY preliminaries
- Analysis - SABMiller's Australian issues continue
- Focus - SABMiller's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's H1 & Q2
- NPD: Alcohol Beverage “Mash-Ups” Fuel Innovation
- Diageo silent over Shuijingfang writedown report
- Sales, profits fall at Moet Hennessy in H1
- Britvic promotes GB marketing head to global post
- Champagne Nicolas Feuillatte appoints new CEO
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned