Blog: Foster's Group has analysts in a froth
Chris Mercer | 8 June 2011
Who could acquire Foster's Group's Australian beer business? Pretty much anybody.
Last week, I wrote slightly tongue-in-cheek about the circus show surrounding Foster's Group's Carlton & United Breweries business. After Molson Coors and Grupo Modelo were outed as potential suitors, I asked who would join the race the week after.
Well, now I have an answer. And the next suitor is... ... Surprise, it's everybody!
"If the transaction were funded 50% equity and 50% debt, Foster's would be affordable for all brewers," wrote Goldman Sachs this week. To be fair, it did add that only the top four brewers would probably be able to afford Foster's in an acquistion using only debt. Still, it hardly narrows the field, does it?
How the investment bankers must be loving this Foster's foam party.
That said, here I am writing about it, again. And, if you've got this far, here you are reading about it, again.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020