Blog: Foster's Group: Going Once, Going Twice...
Chris Mercer | 21 September 2011
It's not too late to beat SABMiller's bid for Foster's Group, apparently.
On a media call today (21 September), Foster's CEO John Pollaers told just-drinks' managing editor, Olly Wehring, that the Victoria Bitter brewer remains open to the idea of rival bids.
Pollaers said that, while Foster's is "very focused on [SABMiller's] proposal", he added that "should any superior offers emerge then the board does remain in a position to address it". He declined to say whether Foster's has received interest from anyone other than SABMiller.
If either SABMiller or Foster's does renege on the agreement, however, the party breaking off the deal would have to pay a fee to the other.
Ok, so perhaps it was a bit of a leading question, but it's interesting to hear Pollaers sending out that kind of signal.
That said, there is little sign that anyone else is keen to go toe-to-toe with SABMiller. A potential bid from Grupo Modelo has not materialised and most other brewers are looking elsewhere, or seeking to cut debt.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends