Blog: Foster's Group: Going Once, Going Twice...
Chris Mercer | 21 September 2011
It's not too late to beat SABMiller's bid for Foster's Group, apparently.
On a media call today (21 September), Foster's CEO John Pollaers told just-drinks' managing editor, Olly Wehring, that the Victoria Bitter brewer remains open to the idea of rival bids.
Pollaers said that, while Foster's is "very focused on [SABMiller's] proposal", he added that "should any superior offers emerge then the board does remain in a position to address it". He declined to say whether Foster's has received interest from anyone other than SABMiller.
If either SABMiller or Foster's does renege on the agreement, however, the party breaking off the deal would have to pay a fee to the other.
Ok, so perhaps it was a bit of a leading question, but it's interesting to hear Pollaers sending out that kind of signal.
That said, there is little sign that anyone else is keen to go toe-to-toe with SABMiller. A potential bid from Grupo Modelo has not materialised and most other brewers are looking elsewhere, or seeking to cut debt.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- Brito gives call to arms to SABMiller shareholders
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research