Blog: Foster's Group: Going Once, Going Twice...
Chris Mercer | 21 September 2011
It's not too late to beat SABMiller's bid for Foster's Group, apparently.
On a media call today (21 September), Foster's CEO John Pollaers told just-drinks' managing editor, Olly Wehring, that the Victoria Bitter brewer remains open to the idea of rival bids.
Pollaers said that, while Foster's is "very focused on [SABMiller's] proposal", he added that "should any superior offers emerge then the board does remain in a position to address it". He declined to say whether Foster's has received interest from anyone other than SABMiller.
If either SABMiller or Foster's does renege on the agreement, however, the party breaking off the deal would have to pay a fee to the other.
Ok, so perhaps it was a bit of a leading question, but it's interesting to hear Pollaers sending out that kind of signal.
That said, there is little sign that anyone else is keen to go toe-to-toe with SABMiller. A potential bid from Grupo Modelo has not materialised and most other brewers are looking elsewhere, or seeking to cut debt.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends