Blog: Foster's Group: Going Once, Going Twice...
Chris Mercer | 21 September 2011
It's not too late to beat SABMiller's bid for Foster's Group, apparently.
On a media call today (21 September), Foster's CEO John Pollaers told just-drinks' managing editor, Olly Wehring, that the Victoria Bitter brewer remains open to the idea of rival bids.
Pollaers said that, while Foster's is "very focused on [SABMiller's] proposal", he added that "should any superior offers emerge then the board does remain in a position to address it". He declined to say whether Foster's has received interest from anyone other than SABMiller.
If either SABMiller or Foster's does renege on the agreement, however, the party breaking off the deal would have to pay a fee to the other.
Ok, so perhaps it was a bit of a leading question, but it's interesting to hear Pollaers sending out that kind of signal.
That said, there is little sign that anyone else is keen to go toe-to-toe with SABMiller. A potential bid from Grupo Modelo has not materialised and most other brewers are looking elsewhere, or seeking to cut debt.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends