Blog: Foster's Group: Going Once, Going Twice...
Chris Mercer | 21 September 2011
It's not too late to beat SABMiller's bid for Foster's Group, apparently.
On a media call today (21 September), Foster's CEO John Pollaers told just-drinks' managing editor, Olly Wehring, that the Victoria Bitter brewer remains open to the idea of rival bids.
Pollaers said that, while Foster's is "very focused on [SABMiller's] proposal", he added that "should any superior offers emerge then the board does remain in a position to address it". He declined to say whether Foster's has received interest from anyone other than SABMiller.
If either SABMiller or Foster's does renege on the agreement, however, the party breaking off the deal would have to pay a fee to the other.
Ok, so perhaps it was a bit of a leading question, but it's interesting to hear Pollaers sending out that kind of signal.
That said, there is little sign that anyone else is keen to go toe-to-toe with SABMiller. A potential bid from Grupo Modelo has not materialised and most other brewers are looking elsewhere, or seeking to cut debt.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends