Blog: Fortune favours the brave
Chris Brook-Carter | 13 October 2010
Pershing Square Capital Management LP has acquired an 11% stake in Fortune Brands, US reports have said.
The hedge-fund firm is led by activist investor William Ackman, who has a reputation for buying stock in companies he deems undervalued and lobbying for changes he thinks will boost shareholder value.
It is certainly a move to keep an eye on, and may spell trouble for the US-owner of the Beam Global Spirits & Wine business.
Ackman led an unsuccessful effort last year to place as many as five board members, including himself, on the US retailer Target's board and also has a history of stirring things up at the restaurant chain Wendy's.
Beam's investor relations team will have their work cut out.
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review