Blog: Fortune favours the brave
Chris Brook-Carter | 13 October 2010
Pershing Square Capital Management LP has acquired an 11% stake in Fortune Brands, US reports have said.
The hedge-fund firm is led by activist investor William Ackman, who has a reputation for buying stock in companies he deems undervalued and lobbying for changes he thinks will boost shareholder value.
It is certainly a move to keep an eye on, and may spell trouble for the US-owner of the Beam Global Spirits & Wine business.
Ackman led an unsuccessful effort last year to place as many as five board members, including himself, on the US retailer Target's board and also has a history of stirring things up at the restaurant chain Wendy's.
Beam's investor relations team will have their work cut out.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research