Blog: Fortune favours the brave
Chris Brook-Carter | 13 October 2010
Pershing Square Capital Management LP has acquired an 11% stake in Fortune Brands, US reports have said.
The hedge-fund firm is led by activist investor William Ackman, who has a reputation for buying stock in companies he deems undervalued and lobbying for changes he thinks will boost shareholder value.
It is certainly a move to keep an eye on, and may spell trouble for the US-owner of the Beam Global Spirits & Wine business.
Ackman led an unsuccessful effort last year to place as many as five board members, including himself, on the US retailer Target's board and also has a history of stirring things up at the restaurant chain Wendy's.
Beam's investor relations team will have their work cut out.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research