Blog: Fortune favours the brave
Chris Brook-Carter | 13 October 2010
Pershing Square Capital Management LP has acquired an 11% stake in Fortune Brands, US reports have said.
The hedge-fund firm is led by activist investor William Ackman, who has a reputation for buying stock in companies he deems undervalued and lobbying for changes he thinks will boost shareholder value.
It is certainly a move to keep an eye on, and may spell trouble for the US-owner of the Beam Global Spirits & Wine business.
Ackman led an unsuccessful effort last year to place as many as five board members, including himself, on the US retailer Target's board and also has a history of stirring things up at the restaurant chain Wendy's.
Beam's investor relations team will have their work cut out.
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Carlsberg, Heineken, Coca-Cola Amatil, California's winelands and Cognac....
The Coca-Cola Co's Keurig Cold machine won't be out until next year. But co-developer Keurig Green Mountain has given us a taste with the unveiling this weekend of another at-home beverage platform, t...
It's a bank holiday here in the UK on Monday (25 August). just-drinks' team will be taking a well-earned lie down. ...
Poland is hardly noted for its cider consumption, but all this could be about to change. ...
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q4 & FY
- CCA - Coca-Cola's Canary in the Mine
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Comment - Another One Bites Bacardi's Dust
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- SABMiller exec to become CFO at Beam Suntory
- Brown-Forman unveils Jack Daniel's UK push
- Champagne will not regain lost ground until 2018
- Bacardi announces CFO switch