Blog: Fortune - bye-bye wine, hello Absolut?
Olly Wehring | 13 November 2007
Fortune Brands' move to sell its US wine business, announced yesterday (12 November), would appear to set the scene perfectly for the impending bunfight over Vin & Sprit.
The likely sale of the Swedish state-owned drinks company, which owns the Absolut vodka brand, is expected to be announced in the coming months. And, with Fortune jointly handling Absolut's distribution in the US with V&S, as well as the two being partners in global distribution company Maxxium, Fortune appears to have the most to lose should it fail in acquiring the Swedish firm.
With Diageo, Pernod Ricard and Bacardi, among others, having all voiced their interest in V&S, it is understandable that it might be 'squeaky bum' time at Fortune's headquarters in Illinois. Certainly, the US$840m Fortune is expected to realise from the wine sale to Constellation Brands will help, but you can be pretty sure that the other runners and riders will take pleasure in, at least, driving V&S's sale as high as they can - and we all know that Diageo and Pernod have quite deep pockets when it comes to brand buying.
And so, we all wait for the off. All it'll take is for the Swedish government to raise the starting tape.
I, for one, can't wait - nor, it seems, can Fortune, now.
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Edrington names European Travel Retail head
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets