Blog: Fortune - bye-bye wine, hello Absolut?
Olly Wehring | 13 November 2007
Fortune Brands' move to sell its US wine business, announced yesterday (12 November), would appear to set the scene perfectly for the impending bunfight over Vin & Sprit.
The likely sale of the Swedish state-owned drinks company, which owns the Absolut vodka brand, is expected to be announced in the coming months. And, with Fortune jointly handling Absolut's distribution in the US with V&S, as well as the two being partners in global distribution company Maxxium, Fortune appears to have the most to lose should it fail in acquiring the Swedish firm.
With Diageo, Pernod Ricard and Bacardi, among others, having all voiced their interest in V&S, it is understandable that it might be 'squeaky bum' time at Fortune's headquarters in Illinois. Certainly, the US$840m Fortune is expected to realise from the wine sale to Constellation Brands will help, but you can be pretty sure that the other runners and riders will take pleasure in, at least, driving V&S's sale as high as they can - and we all know that Diageo and Pernod have quite deep pockets when it comes to brand buying.
And so, we all wait for the off. All it'll take is for the Swedish government to raise the starting tape.
I, for one, can't wait - nor, it seems, can Fortune, now.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts