Blog: Fortune - bye-bye wine, hello Absolut?
Olly Wehring | 13 November 2007
Fortune Brands' move to sell its US wine business, announced yesterday (12 November), would appear to set the scene perfectly for the impending bunfight over Vin & Sprit.
The likely sale of the Swedish state-owned drinks company, which owns the Absolut vodka brand, is expected to be announced in the coming months. And, with Fortune jointly handling Absolut's distribution in the US with V&S, as well as the two being partners in global distribution company Maxxium, Fortune appears to have the most to lose should it fail in acquiring the Swedish firm.
With Diageo, Pernod Ricard and Bacardi, among others, having all voiced their interest in V&S, it is understandable that it might be 'squeaky bum' time at Fortune's headquarters in Illinois. Certainly, the US$840m Fortune is expected to realise from the wine sale to Constellation Brands will help, but you can be pretty sure that the other runners and riders will take pleasure in, at least, driving V&S's sale as high as they can - and we all know that Diageo and Pernod have quite deep pockets when it comes to brand buying.
And so, we all wait for the off. All it'll take is for the Swedish government to raise the starting tape.
I, for one, can't wait - nor, it seems, can Fortune, now.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Global water targets risk hiding local concerns
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends