Blog: For peat's sake
Chris Mercer | 27 October 2010
Peated whiskies have long been in the 'macho' domain, to be handled only by the toughest of whisky lovers. But, Scotch whisky guru Jim Murray has given the sector fresh recognition by handing his annual prize to one that claims to be the peatiest of them all.
Murray's 2011 Whisky Bible has made Octomore “Orpheus”, distilled by Bruichladdich on Islay, the top-choice single malt Scotch around.
The new expression, Octomore 3, is a whopping 152 part per million peat. Bruichladdich bullishly describes Octomore as "three times more peaty than any other mainstream whisky".
However, it seems the distillery's macho image has a soft underbelly.
"This is no monstrous brute,” said Jim McEwan, head of distilling at Bruichladdich. "It's an iron fist in a velvet glove." I bet it still packs a punch, though.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends