Blog: For peat's sake
Chris Mercer | 27 October 2010
Peated whiskies have long been in the 'macho' domain, to be handled only by the toughest of whisky lovers. But, Scotch whisky guru Jim Murray has given the sector fresh recognition by handing his annual prize to one that claims to be the peatiest of them all.
Murray's 2011 Whisky Bible has made Octomore “Orpheus”, distilled by Bruichladdich on Islay, the top-choice single malt Scotch around.
The new expression, Octomore 3, is a whopping 152 part per million peat. Bruichladdich bullishly describes Octomore as "three times more peaty than any other mainstream whisky".
However, it seems the distillery's macho image has a soft underbelly.
"This is no monstrous brute,” said Jim McEwan, head of distilling at Bruichladdich. "It's an iron fist in a velvet glove." I bet it still packs a punch, though.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends