Blog: For peat's sake
Chris Mercer | 27 October 2010
Peated whiskies have long been in the 'macho' domain, to be handled only by the toughest of whisky lovers. But, Scotch whisky guru Jim Murray has given the sector fresh recognition by handing his annual prize to one that claims to be the peatiest of them all.
Murray's 2011 Whisky Bible has made Octomore “Orpheus”, distilled by Bruichladdich on Islay, the top-choice single malt Scotch around.
The new expression, Octomore 3, is a whopping 152 part per million peat. Bruichladdich bullishly describes Octomore as "three times more peaty than any other mainstream whisky".
However, it seems the distillery's macho image has a soft underbelly.
"This is no monstrous brute,” said Jim McEwan, head of distilling at Bruichladdich. "It's an iron fist in a velvet glove." I bet it still packs a punch, though.
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Why has Heineken made a Formula 1 U-turn?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview