Blog: For peat's sake
Chris Mercer | 27 October 2010
Peated whiskies have long been in the 'macho' domain, to be handled only by the toughest of whisky lovers. But, Scotch whisky guru Jim Murray has given the sector fresh recognition by handing his annual prize to one that claims to be the peatiest of them all.
Murray's 2011 Whisky Bible has made Octomore “Orpheus”, distilled by Bruichladdich on Islay, the top-choice single malt Scotch around.
The new expression, Octomore 3, is a whopping 152 part per million peat. Bruichladdich bullishly describes Octomore as "three times more peaty than any other mainstream whisky".
However, it seems the distillery's macho image has a soft underbelly.
"This is no monstrous brute,” said Jim McEwan, head of distilling at Bruichladdich. "It's an iron fist in a velvet glove." I bet it still packs a punch, though.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research