Blog: Fooling around on 1 April
James Wilmore | 1 April 2014
Despite the often cut-throat nature of the drinks industry, it's good to know some companies still have a sense of humour.
And today, 1 April, was the day to indulge that.
Kentucky Bourbon producer Buffalo Trace had some fun with news of its plans to build an open-air whiskey barrel storage 'farm'. A world first, the company claimed, which would see up to 150,000 barrels being stored in outdoor trenches. A press release suggested that a tornado that tore off a warehouse roof, leaving barrels exposed for six months to the elements, had led to some excellent whiskey being produced.
Nice try, guys!
Meanwhile, Diageo did its best to fool folk with news that its rum brand Captain Morgan would be getting a new flavour: 'Taco'.
A press release promised "Mexico's freshest blends of cheddar, jack and Chihuahua cheeses, along with green chilies, perfectly diced tomatoes and succulent beef" as part of the offering. The folk who work on Captain Morgan even took the trouble of making a Vine.
We also had our own fun, as managing editor Olly Wehring revealed details of an astounding discovery: a brick that produces all manner of drinks when left in water.
You couldn't make it up! Well, we did.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research