Blog: Fooling around on 1 April
James Wilmore | 1 April 2014
Despite the often cut-throat nature of the drinks industry, it's good to know some companies still have a sense of humour.
And today, 1 April, was the day to indulge that.
Kentucky Bourbon producer Buffalo Trace had some fun with news of its plans to build an open-air whiskey barrel storage 'farm'. A world first, the company claimed, which would see up to 150,000 barrels being stored in outdoor trenches. A press release suggested that a tornado that tore off a warehouse roof, leaving barrels exposed for six months to the elements, had led to some excellent whiskey being produced.
Nice try, guys!
Meanwhile, Diageo did its best to fool folk with news that its rum brand Captain Morgan would be getting a new flavour: 'Taco'.
A press release promised "Mexico's freshest blends of cheddar, jack and Chihuahua cheeses, along with green chilies, perfectly diced tomatoes and succulent beef" as part of the offering. The folk who work on Captain Morgan even took the trouble of making a Vine.
We also had our own fun, as managing editor Olly Wehring revealed details of an astounding discovery: a brick that produces all manner of drinks when left in water.
You couldn't make it up! Well, we did.
Heineken is gearing up for a product launch in Australia this month. But exactly what the product is, the brewer is not saying....
It's Summer in the northern hemisphere and the beer festivals are in full swing. Even the famously secluded North Korea is letting its regulation-cut hair down with the Taedonggang Beer Festival, name...
Drinks companies that use celebrities and influencers to endorse products via social media could be in line for some rule changes....
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Interview- Veltins export manager Udo Bruns
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages