Blog: Fooling around on 1 April
James Wilmore | 1 April 2014
Despite the often cut-throat nature of the drinks industry, it's good to know some companies still have a sense of humour.
And today, 1 April, was the day to indulge that.
Kentucky Bourbon producer Buffalo Trace had some fun with news of its plans to build an open-air whiskey barrel storage 'farm'. A world first, the company claimed, which would see up to 150,000 barrels being stored in outdoor trenches. A press release suggested that a tornado that tore off a warehouse roof, leaving barrels exposed for six months to the elements, had led to some excellent whiskey being produced.
Nice try, guys!
Meanwhile, Diageo did its best to fool folk with news that its rum brand Captain Morgan would be getting a new flavour: 'Taco'.
A press release promised "Mexico's freshest blends of cheddar, jack and Chihuahua cheeses, along with green chilies, perfectly diced tomatoes and succulent beef" as part of the offering. The folk who work on Captain Morgan even took the trouble of making a Vine.
We also had our own fun, as managing editor Olly Wehring revealed details of an astounding discovery: a brick that produces all manner of drinks when left in water.
You couldn't make it up! Well, we did.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo H1 sales flatline as Q2 improves
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research