Blog: Flights Scotched but the blog goes on
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 April 2010
Well, you couldn't do this on an aeroplane. Here I am on the train up to Glasgow for this year's World Whiskies Conference, writing up a pre-show blog. The wonders of technology and Iceland's geology are bringing me to you live from the Northumbria countryside. That said, the wonders of Iceland's geology also means I have missed the first day of the Conference - I'll be there in time for the drinks reception, thank goodness - so you'll only be getting coverage from day two this year, I'm afraid.
The good news is that the second day will include my own presentation on the state of the Scotch whisky industry, in particular the results of a survey we sent out to thousands of our whisky readers to gauge the level of confidence going into this year of recovery.
There were some very interesting results and I don't think it gives the game away too much ahead of tomorrow to say that, compared to many of the other sectors around the industry, confidence is high. But there are some interesting and potentially contentious results concerning the future direction of Scotch marketing too.
So, sorry if you were at the WWC today and expecting to see me, I'll be there in an hour if you can hang on. If not, I hope to catch up tomorrow. For those of you not there but hoping for updates, check back on the site at regular intervals tomorrow for any news or gossip that breaks.
Could it happen? According to this report, a section of the beer community wants to ditch the word craft. They prefer instead the term “Indie” for brewers they believe follow the enlightened path of t...
The global elite were in Switzerland last week for the World Economic Forum in Davos, the annual corporate huddle for the rich and powerful. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Co, Muhtar Kent, was there too, de...
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, sl...
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020