Blog: Flights Scotched but the blog goes on
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 April 2010
Well, you couldn't do this on an aeroplane. Here I am on the train up to Glasgow for this year's World Whiskies Conference, writing up a pre-show blog. The wonders of technology and Iceland's geology are bringing me to you live from the Northumbria countryside. That said, the wonders of Iceland's geology also means I have missed the first day of the Conference - I'll be there in time for the drinks reception, thank goodness - so you'll only be getting coverage from day two this year, I'm afraid.
The good news is that the second day will include my own presentation on the state of the Scotch whisky industry, in particular the results of a survey we sent out to thousands of our whisky readers to gauge the level of confidence going into this year of recovery.
There were some very interesting results and I don't think it gives the game away too much ahead of tomorrow to say that, compared to many of the other sectors around the industry, confidence is high. But there are some interesting and potentially contentious results concerning the future direction of Scotch marketing too.
So, sorry if you were at the WWC today and expecting to see me, I'll be there in an hour if you can hang on. If not, I hope to catch up tomorrow. For those of you not there but hoping for updates, check back on the site at regular intervals tomorrow for any news or gossip that breaks.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China