Blog: Flights Scotched but the blog goes on
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 April 2010
Well, you couldn't do this on an aeroplane. Here I am on the train up to Glasgow for this year's World Whiskies Conference, writing up a pre-show blog. The wonders of technology and Iceland's geology are bringing me to you live from the Northumbria countryside. That said, the wonders of Iceland's geology also means I have missed the first day of the Conference - I'll be there in time for the drinks reception, thank goodness - so you'll only be getting coverage from day two this year, I'm afraid.
The good news is that the second day will include my own presentation on the state of the Scotch whisky industry, in particular the results of a survey we sent out to thousands of our whisky readers to gauge the level of confidence going into this year of recovery.
There were some very interesting results and I don't think it gives the game away too much ahead of tomorrow to say that, compared to many of the other sectors around the industry, confidence is high. But there are some interesting and potentially contentious results concerning the future direction of Scotch marketing too.
So, sorry if you were at the WWC today and expecting to see me, I'll be there in an hour if you can hang on. If not, I hope to catch up tomorrow. For those of you not there but hoping for updates, check back on the site at regular intervals tomorrow for any news or gossip that breaks.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends