Blog: Flavour stick "ages whisk(e)y three years in 24 hours"
Andy Morton | 20 October 2014
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste.
According to the US makers of a new “flavour-enhancer”, they needn't bother. Whiskey Elements is a long, ribbed-like wooden stick that, when placed inside regular, everyday whisk(e)y, supposedly ages the flavour by three years in just 24 hours. The marketing calls it “accelerated transpiration through capillary action”, and believe it or not phrases such as that have persuaded people to stump up more than US$130,000 on Kickstarter to bring Whiskey Elements to market.
Unfortunately for the investors - and for spirits makers looking to bypass the costly hire of warehouses and experienced distillers - a Gizmodo blog gives the whiskey stick a big thumbs down. A blind taste test threw up tasting notes such "oil and petroleum”, while a Jim Beam mixed with Whiskey Elements “barely tasted like whiskey”.
It seems that when it comes to making whisk(e)y, there's no going against the grain.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Rossi D'Asiago has added a 5cl version of its Antica Sambuca Classic to the brand's offering, as it looks to boost sales in the Global Travel Retail channel....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends