Blog: Flavour stick "ages whisk(e)y three years in 24 hours"
Andy Morton | 20 October 2014
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste.
According to the US makers of a new “flavour-enhancer”, they needn't bother. Whiskey Elements is a long, ribbed-like wooden stick that, when placed inside regular, everyday whisk(e)y, supposedly ages the flavour by three years in just 24 hours. The marketing calls it “accelerated transpiration through capillary action”, and believe it or not phrases such as that have persuaded people to stump up more than US$130,000 on Kickstarter to bring Whiskey Elements to market.
Unfortunately for the investors - and for spirits makers looking to bypass the costly hire of warehouses and experienced distillers - a Gizmodo blog gives the whiskey stick a big thumbs down. A blind taste test threw up tasting notes such "oil and petroleum”, while a Jim Beam mixed with Whiskey Elements “barely tasted like whiskey”.
It seems that when it comes to making whisk(e)y, there's no going against the grain.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Berry Bros & Rudd has announced the international roll-out of its Penny Blue VSOP rum. ...
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends