Blog: Flavour stick "ages whisk(e)y three years in 24 hours"
Andy Morton | 20 October 2014
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste.
According to the US makers of a new “flavour-enhancer”, they needn't bother. Whiskey Elements is a long, ribbed-like wooden stick that, when placed inside regular, everyday whisk(e)y, supposedly ages the flavour by three years in just 24 hours. The marketing calls it “accelerated transpiration through capillary action”, and believe it or not phrases such as that have persuaded people to stump up more than US$130,000 on Kickstarter to bring Whiskey Elements to market.
Unfortunately for the investors - and for spirits makers looking to bypass the costly hire of warehouses and experienced distillers - a Gizmodo blog gives the whiskey stick a big thumbs down. A blind taste test threw up tasting notes such "oil and petroleum”, while a Jim Beam mixed with Whiskey Elements “barely tasted like whiskey”.
It seems that when it comes to making whisk(e)y, there's no going against the grain.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends