Blog: Flavour stick "ages whisk(e)y three years in 24 hours"
Andy Morton | 20 October 2014
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste.
According to the US makers of a new “flavour-enhancer”, they needn't bother. Whiskey Elements is a long, ribbed-like wooden stick that, when placed inside regular, everyday whisk(e)y, supposedly ages the flavour by three years in just 24 hours. The marketing calls it “accelerated transpiration through capillary action”, and believe it or not phrases such as that have persuaded people to stump up more than US$130,000 on Kickstarter to bring Whiskey Elements to market.
Unfortunately for the investors - and for spirits makers looking to bypass the costly hire of warehouses and experienced distillers - a Gizmodo blog gives the whiskey stick a big thumbs down. A blind taste test threw up tasting notes such "oil and petroleum”, while a Jim Beam mixed with Whiskey Elements “barely tasted like whiskey”.
It seems that when it comes to making whisk(e)y, there's no going against the grain.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Yesterday, Remy Cointreau posted a strong jump in YTD sales driven by impressive Cognac Q3 performances in China and the US. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the company's sales performance by...
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits