Blog: Flavour stick "ages whisk(e)y three years in 24 hours"
Andy Morton | 20 October 2014
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste.
According to the US makers of a new “flavour-enhancer”, they needn't bother. Whiskey Elements is a long, ribbed-like wooden stick that, when placed inside regular, everyday whisk(e)y, supposedly ages the flavour by three years in just 24 hours. The marketing calls it “accelerated transpiration through capillary action”, and believe it or not phrases such as that have persuaded people to stump up more than US$130,000 on Kickstarter to bring Whiskey Elements to market.
Unfortunately for the investors - and for spirits makers looking to bypass the costly hire of warehouses and experienced distillers - a Gizmodo blog gives the whiskey stick a big thumbs down. A blind taste test threw up tasting notes such "oil and petroleum”, while a Jim Beam mixed with Whiskey Elements “barely tasted like whiskey”.
It seems that when it comes to making whisk(e)y, there's no going against the grain.
Puerto Rican rum company Destileria Serralles has launched two aged rums in the UK....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In the first part of just-drinks' interview with Bulldog Gin Co's founder & CEO, Anshuman Vohra, we looked at the birth and rise of the brand. In part two, Vohra considers the wider gin segment, Bulld...
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends