Blog: First day nerves as Suntory shares make Tokyo debut
Andy Morton | 3 July 2013
Suntory's food and drinks unit got off to a lukewarm start on its first day of trading in Tokyo today (3 July).
Starting at JPY3,100 after an IPO that eventually raised just shy of US$4bn, the shares closed up by 1.5%. Considering the Tokyo Stock Exchange was down for the day by 3% overall, that wasn't too bad. But, Suntory will be hoping for bigger gains in the future, especially as it has made clear it intends to use the IPO money to fund overseas acquisitions in line with domestic rivals Kirin and Asahi.
Suntory last week priced its shares at the lower end of their valuation, and, according to a company spokesperson quoted by Bloomberg, the IPO was “more than three times oversubscribed by domestic investors and almost two times oversubscribed by those from overseas”.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review