Blog: First day nerves as Suntory shares make Tokyo debut
Andy Morton | 3 July 2013
Suntory's food and drinks unit got off to a lukewarm start on its first day of trading in Tokyo today (3 July).
Starting at JPY3,100 after an IPO that eventually raised just shy of US$4bn, the shares closed up by 1.5%. Considering the Tokyo Stock Exchange was down for the day by 3% overall, that wasn't too bad. But, Suntory will be hoping for bigger gains in the future, especially as it has made clear it intends to use the IPO money to fund overseas acquisitions in line with domestic rivals Kirin and Asahi.
Suntory last week priced its shares at the lower end of their valuation, and, according to a company spokesperson quoted by Bloomberg, the IPO was “more than three times oversubscribed by domestic investors and almost two times oversubscribed by those from overseas”.
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- NPD: Brewdog's Born to Die
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review