Blog: First day nerves as Suntory shares make Tokyo debut
Andy Morton | 3 July 2013
Suntory's food and drinks unit got off to a lukewarm start on its first day of trading in Tokyo today (3 July).
Starting at JPY3,100 after an IPO that eventually raised just shy of US$4bn, the shares closed up by 1.5%. Considering the Tokyo Stock Exchange was down for the day by 3% overall, that wasn't too bad. But, Suntory will be hoping for bigger gains in the future, especially as it has made clear it intends to use the IPO money to fund overseas acquisitions in line with domestic rivals Kirin and Asahi.
Suntory last week priced its shares at the lower end of their valuation, and, according to a company spokesperson quoted by Bloomberg, the IPO was “more than three times oversubscribed by domestic investors and almost two times oversubscribed by those from overseas”.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages