Blog: First day nerves as Suntory shares make Tokyo debut
Andy Morton | 3 July 2013
Suntory's food and drinks unit got off to a lukewarm start on its first day of trading in Tokyo today (3 July).
Starting at JPY3,100 after an IPO that eventually raised just shy of US$4bn, the shares closed up by 1.5%. Considering the Tokyo Stock Exchange was down for the day by 3% overall, that wasn't too bad. But, Suntory will be hoping for bigger gains in the future, especially as it has made clear it intends to use the IPO money to fund overseas acquisitions in line with domestic rivals Kirin and Asahi.
Suntory last week priced its shares at the lower end of their valuation, and, according to a company spokesperson quoted by Bloomberg, the IPO was “more than three times oversubscribed by domestic investors and almost two times oversubscribed by those from overseas”.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- How has craft beer put the squeeze on world beers?
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Consumers want brands that challenge them - study
- Heineken signs JV deal in Philippines
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Pernod gives Malibu global summer push
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends