Blog: Fighting the tide of legislation in the UK?
Olly Wehring | 22 July 2008
Answer me this, would you? How inevitable, really, is it that the level of legislation affecting alcoholic drinks producers operating in the UK is set to rise?
Feel free to let me know your thoughts – anonymously, if you prefer. I've spoken to countless execs within the UK drinks industry and, on the record, naturally, not one of them has conceded that it is just a matter of time before the authorities come down harder on them over here.
Today's announcement, however, that the Department of Health in the UK has launched a fresh consultation on drinking culture, suggests that it's more when than if.
I had quite an interesting chat last week with the head of alcohol policy at SABMiller, Kristin Kaplan Wolfe (heads-up: an interview coming up later this month on just-drinks), and she, like everyone else, still maintained that the drinks industry had a case to fight, and was well-placed to resist the heavy rod of legislation.
Do you agree? I'm struggling to. We, as an industry in the UK, have let go of the reins, despite our best intentions. The press may verge on hysteria with their coverage of our binge-drinking culture, but surely there's no smoke without fire?
I hope you'll convince me I – and the UK government, I'll wager – are both wrong.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends