Blog: Fighting the tide of legislation in the UK?
Olly Wehring | 22 July 2008
Answer me this, would you? How inevitable, really, is it that the level of legislation affecting alcoholic drinks producers operating in the UK is set to rise?
Feel free to let me know your thoughts – anonymously, if you prefer. I've spoken to countless execs within the UK drinks industry and, on the record, naturally, not one of them has conceded that it is just a matter of time before the authorities come down harder on them over here.
Today's announcement, however, that the Department of Health in the UK has launched a fresh consultation on drinking culture, suggests that it's more when than if.
I had quite an interesting chat last week with the head of alcohol policy at SABMiller, Kristin Kaplan Wolfe (heads-up: an interview coming up later this month on just-drinks), and she, like everyone else, still maintained that the drinks industry had a case to fight, and was well-placed to resist the heavy rod of legislation.
Do you agree? I'm struggling to. We, as an industry in the UK, have let go of the reins, despite our best intentions. The press may verge on hysteria with their coverage of our binge-drinking culture, but surely there's no smoke without fire?
I hope you'll convince me I – and the UK government, I'll wager – are both wrong.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research