Blog: Fight, fight, fight. Er... Sulk, sulk, sulk
Chris Brook-Carter | 11 April 2005
When writing about the competition in the drinks business, the temptation to lapse into fighting analogies rears its head almost daily. But we’ll just let this one speak for itself.
Earlier this month, sales staff from China’s biggest brewer, Tsingtao Brewery, broke into the office of rival Kingway Brewery Holdings and destroyed some facilities. The situation devolved into physical clashes, with at least three people being slightly injured in the row, which was brought to an end after police intervention.
The incident, reported by local paper Xinhua, highlights what the newspaper described as the “cut-throat” competition in the world’s largest beer market.
So, we here at just-drinks call for an amnesty on such aggressive analogies, for fear that outsiders out there may be getting the wrong idea about the drinks industry.
Don't, therefore, be surprised by launguage such as this: "Diageo were a little put out today, when Allied Domecq stole a percentage point from its market share in western Europe. The drinks giant calmed itself with a nice cup of tea and a sit down." Much more civilised.
We are true journalistic pioneers, are we not.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits