Blog: Fight, fight, fight. Er... Sulk, sulk, sulk
Chris Brook-Carter | 11 April 2005
When writing about the competition in the drinks business, the temptation to lapse into fighting analogies rears its head almost daily. But we’ll just let this one speak for itself.
Earlier this month, sales staff from China’s biggest brewer, Tsingtao Brewery, broke into the office of rival Kingway Brewery Holdings and destroyed some facilities. The situation devolved into physical clashes, with at least three people being slightly injured in the row, which was brought to an end after police intervention.
The incident, reported by local paper Xinhua, highlights what the newspaper described as the “cut-throat” competition in the world’s largest beer market.
So, we here at just-drinks call for an amnesty on such aggressive analogies, for fear that outsiders out there may be getting the wrong idea about the drinks industry.
Don't, therefore, be surprised by launguage such as this: "Diageo were a little put out today, when Allied Domecq stole a percentage point from its market share in western Europe. The drinks giant calmed itself with a nice cup of tea and a sit down." Much more civilised.
We are true journalistic pioneers, are we not.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends