Blog: Fifth of May, don't drink, okay?
Chris Brook-Carter | 15 April 2004
Activists are pushing for Hispanics to boycott Budweiser during this year’s Cinco de Mayo celebrations. The group May 5 With Pride has accused Anheuser Busch of using the occasion to promote alcohol consumption, thereby dishonouring Hispanic culture.
“With their publicity, they want to make us look like drunkards, and use the celebration of our Mexican fiesta as a day for getting drunk,” a spokesman for the group said. The activists want AB to stop using the festival in its publicity campaign.
“To suggest that people of a specific racial group should be protected from certain types of publicity is elitist and condescending and an insult,” AB countered.
Watch this space for any Irish complaints about Guinness’ links with St Patrick’s Day celebrations – just don’t hold your breath.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends