Blog: Fifth of May, don't drink, okay?
Chris Brook-Carter | 15 April 2004
Activists are pushing for Hispanics to boycott Budweiser during this year’s Cinco de Mayo celebrations. The group May 5 With Pride has accused Anheuser Busch of using the occasion to promote alcohol consumption, thereby dishonouring Hispanic culture.
“With their publicity, they want to make us look like drunkards, and use the celebration of our Mexican fiesta as a day for getting drunk,” a spokesman for the group said. The activists want AB to stop using the festival in its publicity campaign.
“To suggest that people of a specific racial group should be protected from certain types of publicity is elitist and condescending and an insult,” AB countered.
Watch this space for any Irish complaints about Guinness’ links with St Patrick’s Day celebrations – just don’t hold your breath.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits