Blog: Fergie set to see the reddies from wine auction
James Wilmore | 16 April 2014
As if winning 13 Premier League titles, five FA Cups and the UEFA Champions League twice wasn't enough, it appears Sir Alex Ferguson was also a pretty canny wine collector.
The former Manchester United boss, who famously liked to invite opposition managers for a post-match libation, is selling off a stash of his vintage wines at auction, it was revealed today (16 April). The 5,000 or so bottles are expected to fetch around GBP3m through Christie's.
Around 75% of the collection is reportedly vintages of French Burgundy Domaine de la Romanee-Conti. And according to Christie's international director of wine, David Elswood, the label is "the wine of the moment in terms of demand".
No surprise really that Fergie, as he's affectionately known by some fans, was such a shrewd operator in this field too. Just a shame that some of the current Manchester United squad has not matured in the same way as his fine wine collection.
*Disclaimer: The author of this blog is a Manchester United fan. From the pre-Fergie days mind.
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers stepped up a notch this week after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water”....
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Last weekend, the Wall Street Journal published a fascinating article that looks at the more recent performance - or lack thereof - of Anheuser-Busch InBev's Budweiser brand in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018