Blog: Fergie set to see the reddies from wine auction
James Wilmore | 16 April 2014
As if winning 13 Premier League titles, five FA Cups and the UEFA Champions League twice wasn't enough, it appears Sir Alex Ferguson was also a pretty canny wine collector.
The former Manchester United boss, who famously liked to invite opposition managers for a post-match libation, is selling off a stash of his vintage wines at auction, it was revealed today (16 April). The 5,000 or so bottles are expected to fetch around GBP3m through Christie's.
Around 75% of the collection is reportedly vintages of French Burgundy Domaine de la Romanee-Conti. And according to Christie's international director of wine, David Elswood, the label is "the wine of the moment in terms of demand".
No surprise really that Fergie, as he's affectionately known by some fans, was such a shrewd operator in this field too. Just a shame that some of the current Manchester United squad has not matured in the same way as his fine wine collection.
*Disclaimer: The author of this blog is a Manchester United fan. From the pre-Fergie days mind.
Wine trade show Vinexpo plans to take 100 of the world's top buyers to Austria's vineyards for the first edition of a new exhibition concept....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Alcohol sold in a central Indian state will have to carry health warnings as part of a raft of government measures to curb consumption, according to reports....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
June last year, and Adolfo Hurtado, the gregarious chief winemaker & general manager for Concha y Toro's Cono Sur, is in a sunny mood as he goes about his day at the Chilean winery....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends