Blog: FEMSA deal to spark Modelo move?
Olly Wehring | 11 January 2010
Today's news that FEMSA Cerveza has jumped into bed with a multinational brewer could spark action in the Grupo Modelo/Anheuser-Busch InBev war of attrition.
Modelo is the largest Mexican brewer, but FEMSA is a close second, with 43% market share.
Heineken's foreign money flowing into FEMSA is likely to raise the pressure on Modelo.
We're willing to wager that this makes a deal between Modelo and A-B InBev more likely, and sooner rather than later.
Both companies are locked in a dispute over ownership. Modelo claims that A-B's non-controlling 50% stake in its business cannot pass straight to the new A-B InBev conglomerate. The last we heard, arbitration proceedings between the two sides are due.
I wouldn't bet on it getting that far.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends