Blog: FEMSA deal to spark Modelo move?
Olly Wehring | 11 January 2010
Today's news that FEMSA Cerveza has jumped into bed with a multinational brewer could spark action in the Grupo Modelo/Anheuser-Busch InBev war of attrition.
Modelo is the largest Mexican brewer, but FEMSA is a close second, with 43% market share.
Heineken's foreign money flowing into FEMSA is likely to raise the pressure on Modelo.
We're willing to wager that this makes a deal between Modelo and A-B InBev more likely, and sooner rather than later.
Both companies are locked in a dispute over ownership. Modelo claims that A-B's non-controlling 50% stake in its business cannot pass straight to the new A-B InBev conglomerate. The last we heard, arbitration proceedings between the two sides are due.
I wouldn't bet on it getting that far.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research