Blog: FEMSA deal to spark Modelo move?
Olly Wehring | 11 January 2010
Today's news that FEMSA Cerveza has jumped into bed with a multinational brewer could spark action in the Grupo Modelo/Anheuser-Busch InBev war of attrition.
Modelo is the largest Mexican brewer, but FEMSA is a close second, with 43% market share.
Heineken's foreign money flowing into FEMSA is likely to raise the pressure on Modelo.
We're willing to wager that this makes a deal between Modelo and A-B InBev more likely, and sooner rather than later.
Both companies are locked in a dispute over ownership. Modelo claims that A-B's non-controlling 50% stake in its business cannot pass straight to the new A-B InBev conglomerate. The last we heard, arbitration proceedings between the two sides are due.
I wouldn't bet on it getting that far.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends