Blog: FEMSA deal to spark Modelo move?
Olly Wehring | 11 January 2010
Today's news that FEMSA Cerveza has jumped into bed with a multinational brewer could spark action in the Grupo Modelo/Anheuser-Busch InBev war of attrition.
Modelo is the largest Mexican brewer, but FEMSA is a close second, with 43% market share.
Heineken's foreign money flowing into FEMSA is likely to raise the pressure on Modelo.
We're willing to wager that this makes a deal between Modelo and A-B InBev more likely, and sooner rather than later.
Both companies are locked in a dispute over ownership. Modelo claims that A-B's non-controlling 50% stake in its business cannot pass straight to the new A-B InBev conglomerate. The last we heard, arbitration proceedings between the two sides are due.
I wouldn't bet on it getting that far.
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends