Blog: FDA probe on caffeine and alcohol
Chris Mercer | 16 November 2009
The Food and Drug Administration's probe on caffeinated alcoholic beverages raises several important questions.
While the FDA is adamant that it has yet to make up its mind on the drinks, it left Friday's conference call listeners in no doubt that it sees no reason why caffeinated alcoholic beverages should be considered legal - without fresh regulation.
However, there are several difficult issues with this investigation.
The first is that one must question why the FDA has not looked at this before, given that caffeinated alcoholic drinks have been on the market for more than two years.
On the industry side, one must ask why, according to the FDA, nobody has sought clearance for these drinks?
The problem the agency and industry face is that there appears to be a lack of clinical scientific evidence on the effects of adding caffeine to alcohol. How do you nail down added caffeine as a culprit?
Assuming a ban is introduced, where does this end? The concept of ready-to-drink alcoholic beverages containing caffeine is merely an extension of the consumer trend for mixing spirits with caffeinated energy drinks.
Is the FDA also going to ban bars from selling vodka and Red Bull combinations? Incidentally, it is believed in the industry that the 'vodka Red Bull' phenomenon accounts for a significant proportion of the energy drink maker's sales.
This issue has quite a few miles left to run, in our opinion.
Chris Mercer, deputy editor.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research