Blog: Fat Lady Clears Throat Exclusive!
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 June 2005
So, that’s that then, isn’t it? The announcement early this morning that Constellation and Brown-Forman’s consortium are not going to make a bid for Allied Domecq means the adventure’s over. Right?
Many observers felt that the fatal blow came early last week, when Diageo hopped off the fence and fell into Pernod Ricard’s embrace. The two companies, along with Fortune, can now start the Allied carve-up whenever they want. Right?
The fat lady might be stepping up to the mark, certainly, but it ain’t over yet. The UK Panel on Takeovers and Mergers had ruled last month that the consortium had until 29 June to announce its intentions.
As one Diageo source told just-drinks today: “There’s still time.”
Squeaky bum time, as one football manager called it, perhaps?
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends