Blog: Fat Lady Clears Throat Exclusive!
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 June 2005
So, that’s that then, isn’t it? The announcement early this morning that Constellation and Brown-Forman’s consortium are not going to make a bid for Allied Domecq means the adventure’s over. Right?
Many observers felt that the fatal blow came early last week, when Diageo hopped off the fence and fell into Pernod Ricard’s embrace. The two companies, along with Fortune, can now start the Allied carve-up whenever they want. Right?
The fat lady might be stepping up to the mark, certainly, but it ain’t over yet. The UK Panel on Takeovers and Mergers had ruled last month that the consortium had until 29 June to announce its intentions.
As one Diageo source told just-drinks today: “There’s still time.”
Squeaky bum time, as one football manager called it, perhaps?
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020