Blog: Fake Plastic Bags - a mystery for Coca-Cola
James Wilmore | 13 July 2012
Why would somebody go to so much trouble to film an elaborate video about Coca-Cola launching branded plastic bags for its flagship drink?
just-drinks got a worldwide scoop earlier this week, after the video was exposed as a fake. Coca-Cola HQ told us it had no connection to the video and that it had no plans to lauch the branded plastic bags in the shape of its iconic glass bottle.
The unofficial video had already fooled plenty of media outlets, including the Daily Mail, which was forced to take down the story from its website.
Coca-Cola told me it had no knowledge of who made, or posted, the video.
So, who could be behind this elaborate hoax? I have two - purely specualtive - theories. One is that Coca-Cola was toying with the idea of launching branded plastic bags and an ad agency that may have pitched for the campaign decided to make the video anyway.
My other theory is that it's the work of a guerilla environmental group. You'll notice in the video, it's mentioned the bags will be bio-degradable. This element was even picked up on by people tweeting about the supposed launch. Perhaps, inspired by the work of The Yes Men, these filmakers are hoping to somehow force Coca-Cola into launching these bio-degradable plastic bags, through consumer demand?
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research