Blog: Fake Plastic Bags - a mystery for Coca-Cola
James Wilmore | 13 July 2012
Why would somebody go to so much trouble to film an elaborate video about Coca-Cola launching branded plastic bags for its flagship drink?
just-drinks got a worldwide scoop earlier this week, after the video was exposed as a fake. Coca-Cola HQ told us it had no connection to the video and that it had no plans to lauch the branded plastic bags in the shape of its iconic glass bottle.
The unofficial video had already fooled plenty of media outlets, including the Daily Mail, which was forced to take down the story from its website.
Coca-Cola told me it had no knowledge of who made, or posted, the video.
So, who could be behind this elaborate hoax? I have two - purely specualtive - theories. One is that Coca-Cola was toying with the idea of launching branded plastic bags and an ad agency that may have pitched for the campaign decided to make the video anyway.
My other theory is that it's the work of a guerilla environmental group. You'll notice in the video, it's mentioned the bags will be bio-degradable. This element was even picked up on by people tweeting about the supposed launch. Perhaps, inspired by the work of The Yes Men, these filmakers are hoping to somehow force Coca-Cola into launching these bio-degradable plastic bags, through consumer demand?
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages