Blog: Facebooking reveals social drink binges
Olly Wehring | 19 September 2007
Previously, only the rich and famous used to fear their personal life being held up for speculation and ridicule.
Taboid-tastic, we sit, gawping over our Sunday rag, at the latest shocking expose or paparazzi snappage.
But now, there's Facebook and it seems, any average Joe, myself included, *ahem* can be scrutinised by the world. Scary stuff.
The latest debacle involves a Tory councillor glumly receiving a stern ticking off today (19 September), after a photograph of him surfaced on the friends networking website showing him semi-naked and with his arms round scantily-clad women and drinking.
Some guys get all the breaks.
Steven Ricketts, seen drinking from a hosepipe and leaning against a pub wall with his head in his hands, listed his interests as "Drinking, smoking, politics, football, fitness and socialising" without a thought for the public image he evidently hopes to uphold. Tsk tsk.
Alcohol Concern has said: "The country rails against teenage drinking.We need adults like this to think carefully about their influence on young people."
Liberal Democrat MP Sandra Gidley, who launched an Alcohol Harm Reduction Bill, took the opportunity to also add: "He should be campaigning to cut down on young people drinking, not condoning it."
Ricketts, Plymouth's youngest city councillor, allegedly defended his photo gallery and personality profile with the plea: "I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm a young person, single and living my life."
Aren't we all, Ricketts. Aren't we all.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends