Blog: FAB news
Chris Brook-Carter | 15 September 2003
As most of you will have seen from the news on Wednesday, the FTC declared that it had found no evidence that flavoured malt beverages (FMBs), also known as malternatives, are being intentionally targeted at minors through products, packaging, or advertising.
It also said that self-regulation practices in the alcohol industry had shown improvement since issuance of the 1999 report. Despite this improvement and positive endorsement, the industry in the US has now agreed that in the area of ad placement it will now strive for a 70% adult media audience.
This is a bold target, and although the anti-drinks lobby is a different, altogether more ferocious, animal in the US, one wonders whether it will put pressure on UK advertisers to follow suit. The FTC has clearly been impressed by the lead taken in the US by the industry in this issue, which may well have helped shape the positive tone of the report.
With the UK government ever closer to publishing its draft document on alcohol policy, the UK industry should take note.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report