Blog: FAB news
Chris Brook-Carter | 15 September 2003
As most of you will have seen from the news on Wednesday, the FTC declared that it had found no evidence that flavoured malt beverages (FMBs), also known as malternatives, are being intentionally targeted at minors through products, packaging, or advertising.
It also said that self-regulation practices in the alcohol industry had shown improvement since issuance of the 1999 report. Despite this improvement and positive endorsement, the industry in the US has now agreed that in the area of ad placement it will now strive for a 70% adult media audience.
This is a bold target, and although the anti-drinks lobby is a different, altogether more ferocious, animal in the US, one wonders whether it will put pressure on UK advertisers to follow suit. The FTC has clearly been impressed by the lead taken in the US by the industry in this issue, which may well have helped shape the positive tone of the report.
With the UK government ever closer to publishing its draft document on alcohol policy, the UK industry should take note.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research