Blog: Expect more beer duty deals in Africa
Chris Mercer | 2 November 2011
SABMiller's cut-price duty deal to produce its new Impala beer brand from cassava in Mozambique could be a sign of things to come in Africa.
To be proper about it, SABMiller is not the first to reach such a deal with authorities. For several years, Diageo has sold Senator Keg at reduced duty in Kenya, on the proviso that the beer helps to lift more Africans out of illegal alcohol consumption.
Bootleg liquor is potentially dangerous, of course, but it also deprives the authorities of tax revenue (and companies of sales).
I would not be surprised at all to see more duty tax deals along the Senator Keg and Impala lines across Africa, particularly involving the use of local raw materials.
Governments want revenue and brewers want to make beer more affordable to lure more consumers. At the same time, using local raw materials lowers production costs and brewers can argue that the policy has the potential to generate more wealth within a given country.
It's yet another sign that the legal marijuana business is moving closer to the alcohol industry in the US....
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
- Comment - Scotch's Battle with Age
- Focus - The Risks of Acquisitions
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Pernod Ricard to up focus on consumers - CEO
- Diageo creates USL unit to oversee own brands
- Pernod Ricard on US starting blocks with Havanista
- Diageo to close Maryland bottling site
- A-B InBev GSA head in drink-driving crash
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review