Blog: Expect more beer duty deals in Africa
Chris Mercer | 2 November 2011
SABMiller's cut-price duty deal to produce its new Impala beer brand from cassava in Mozambique could be a sign of things to come in Africa.
To be proper about it, SABMiller is not the first to reach such a deal with authorities. For several years, Diageo has sold Senator Keg at reduced duty in Kenya, on the proviso that the beer helps to lift more Africans out of illegal alcohol consumption.
Bootleg liquor is potentially dangerous, of course, but it also deprives the authorities of tax revenue (and companies of sales).
I would not be surprised at all to see more duty tax deals along the Senator Keg and Impala lines across Africa, particularly involving the use of local raw materials.
Governments want revenue and brewers want to make beer more affordable to lure more consumers. At the same time, using local raw materials lowers production costs and brewers can argue that the policy has the potential to generate more wealth within a given country.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- US drives Cognac export turnaround - figures
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Brewers of Europe recruits communications director
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research