Blog: Expect more beer duty deals in Africa
Chris Mercer | 2 November 2011
SABMiller's cut-price duty deal to produce its new Impala beer brand from cassava in Mozambique could be a sign of things to come in Africa.
To be proper about it, SABMiller is not the first to reach such a deal with authorities. For several years, Diageo has sold Senator Keg at reduced duty in Kenya, on the proviso that the beer helps to lift more Africans out of illegal alcohol consumption.
Bootleg liquor is potentially dangerous, of course, but it also deprives the authorities of tax revenue (and companies of sales).
I would not be surprised at all to see more duty tax deals along the Senator Keg and Impala lines across Africa, particularly involving the use of local raw materials.
Governments want revenue and brewers want to make beer more affordable to lure more consumers. At the same time, using local raw materials lowers production costs and brewers can argue that the policy has the potential to generate more wealth within a given country.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research