Blog: Expect more beer duty deals in Africa
Chris Mercer | 2 November 2011
SABMiller's cut-price duty deal to produce its new Impala beer brand from cassava in Mozambique could be a sign of things to come in Africa.
To be proper about it, SABMiller is not the first to reach such a deal with authorities. For several years, Diageo has sold Senator Keg at reduced duty in Kenya, on the proviso that the beer helps to lift more Africans out of illegal alcohol consumption.
Bootleg liquor is potentially dangerous, of course, but it also deprives the authorities of tax revenue (and companies of sales).
I would not be surprised at all to see more duty tax deals along the Senator Keg and Impala lines across Africa, particularly involving the use of local raw materials.
Governments want revenue and brewers want to make beer more affordable to lure more consumers. At the same time, using local raw materials lowers production costs and brewers can argue that the policy has the potential to generate more wealth within a given country.
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
After yesterday's introduction to Chile, today was all about Concha y Toro – that's to be expected, seeing as they invited me here....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Why Millennials are driving premium wine demand
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Piper-Heidsieck agrees three-year Oscars tie-up
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets