Blog: Ex-Kraft CFO - Is Boston Beer Co readying a sale?
Olly Wehring | 11 January 2016
This may have slipped under the wire at the end of last year, but could a pre-Christmas HR announcement signal Boston Beer Co's preparedness for a sale?
Right at the start of Christmas week, listed US brewer Boston Beer Co confirmed the appointment of Frank Smalla as its next CFO. Smalla, who started in his new role at the start of last week, spent the previous 14 years at Kraft Foods, rising to become senior VP for finance at the group last year.
One of the biggest news stories in 2015 on our sister site, just-food, was Kraft's merger with Heinz in July. Does Smalla's previous experience, then, suggest something may be afoot at the Sam Adams brewer?
Writing in a note to clients earlier today, analysts at Nomura have pondered as much. "As SVP of corporate finance at Kraft," the note reads, "we believe that the CFO-elect would have been closely involved in the merger with Heinz.
"However," Nomura continues, "in the near term, we would be surprised by a deal from the majors, given the ongoing MillerCoors transaction."
Looks like one to watch, then.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Heineken's Australian unit will refund customers who are not satisfied with the company's new mid-strength beer. ...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits