Blog: Ex-Kraft CFO - Is Boston Beer Co readying a sale?
Olly Wehring | 11 January 2016
This may have slipped under the wire at the end of last year, but could a pre-Christmas HR announcement signal Boston Beer Co's preparedness for a sale?
Right at the start of Christmas week, listed US brewer Boston Beer Co confirmed the appointment of Frank Smalla as its next CFO. Smalla, who started in his new role at the start of last week, spent the previous 14 years at Kraft Foods, rising to become senior VP for finance at the group last year.
One of the biggest news stories in 2015 on our sister site, just-food, was Kraft's merger with Heinz in July. Does Smalla's previous experience, then, suggest something may be afoot at the Sam Adams brewer?
Writing in a note to clients earlier today, analysts at Nomura have pondered as much. "As SVP of corporate finance at Kraft," the note reads, "we believe that the CFO-elect would have been closely involved in the merger with Heinz.
"However," Nomura continues, "in the near term, we would be surprised by a deal from the majors, given the ongoing MillerCoors transaction."
Looks like one to watch, then.
The chief executive of the Scotch Whisky Association, David Frost, is stepping down to become an advisor to UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends