Blog: Ex-Kraft CFO - Is Boston Beer Co readying a sale?
Olly Wehring | 11 January 2016
This may have slipped under the wire at the end of last year, but could a pre-Christmas HR announcement signal Boston Beer Co's preparedness for a sale?
Right at the start of Christmas week, listed US brewer Boston Beer Co confirmed the appointment of Frank Smalla as its next CFO. Smalla, who started in his new role at the start of last week, spent the previous 14 years at Kraft Foods, rising to become senior VP for finance at the group last year.
One of the biggest news stories in 2015 on our sister site, just-food, was Kraft's merger with Heinz in July. Does Smalla's previous experience, then, suggest something may be afoot at the Sam Adams brewer?
Writing in a note to clients earlier today, analysts at Nomura have pondered as much. "As SVP of corporate finance at Kraft," the note reads, "we believe that the CFO-elect would have been closely involved in the merger with Heinz.
"However," Nomura continues, "in the near term, we would be surprised by a deal from the majors, given the ongoing MillerCoors transaction."
Looks like one to watch, then.
Paul Walsh just can't stay away from the drinks industry....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report