Blog: Ex-Kraft CFO - Is Boston Beer Co readying a sale?
Olly Wehring | 11 January 2016
This may have slipped under the wire at the end of last year, but could a pre-Christmas HR announcement signal Boston Beer Co's preparedness for a sale?
Right at the start of Christmas week, listed US brewer Boston Beer Co confirmed the appointment of Frank Smalla as its next CFO. Smalla, who started in his new role at the start of last week, spent the previous 14 years at Kraft Foods, rising to become senior VP for finance at the group last year.
One of the biggest news stories in 2015 on our sister site, just-food, was Kraft's merger with Heinz in July. Does Smalla's previous experience, then, suggest something may be afoot at the Sam Adams brewer?
Writing in a note to clients earlier today, analysts at Nomura have pondered as much. "As SVP of corporate finance at Kraft," the note reads, "we believe that the CFO-elect would have been closely involved in the merger with Heinz.
"However," Nomura continues, "in the near term, we would be surprised by a deal from the majors, given the ongoing MillerCoors transaction."
Looks like one to watch, then.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- William Grant upgrades Glenfiddich Cask Collection
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends